joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone here use a motion activated sprinkler to keep the deer away?  The deer went to town on my beds at some point this weekend. I've used Repels-All which works well but for a limited time depending on how much rain falls.  I don't want to fence the beds in as I think that looks hokey.  So I'm looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

Anyone here use a motion activated sprinkler to keep the deer away?  The deer went to town on my beds at some point this weekend. I've used Repels-All which works well but for a limited time depending on how much rain falls.  I don't want to fence the beds in as I think that looks hokey.  So I'm looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

i have used one for skunks, it worked well. i still have and and may never need to use it again-PM me if you want it

in the past i have used a liquid repellent to keep the deer from eating hostas. that works pretty well. prepare yourself-it smells like liquid death when you apply it. last time i used it (several years ago) the neighborhood dogs all went crazy when they got a whiff of it. don't apply on a windy day ;)

I have mentioned Milorganite here a few times as a great organic Fert. It also works pretty decent as a deer repellent. So you get the added bonus of natural/Org Fert and also helps repel deer/critters.

I have mentioned Milorganite here a few times as a great organic Fert. It also works pretty decent as a deer repellent. So you get the added bonus of natural/Org Fert and also helps repel deer/critters.

How long was the Milorganite effective?  I've used it in the past but wasn't aware that it was a repellent too.

How long was the Milorganite effective?  I've used it in the past but wasn't aware that it was a repellent too.

Its off label use as a Deer repellent. EPA required extensive testing and Milorganite didn't want to spend millions in testing.

4-5 weeks give or take a week. Im not sure of its effectiveness vs Liquid fence, etc. Think they both provide some decent deer protection.

Vegetable gardens crying for their mamas. Diseases, bugs, nutrient lockups... waste of a growing season, especially after such an epic start in May.

My garden's doing great...I've been harvesting lettuce, arugula, peas and herbs (mostly basil, oregano, and mint) since early May. More recently, I've harvested 1 red cabbage and 1 green cabbage...got a few more coming. Tomatoes are green on the vine, zucchini have small fruits, and yellow peas are getting going...I agree we could use a little more heat as my peppers are getting kind of yellow and tomatoes are slower than other years.

post-475-0-85576800-1435686679_thumb.jpg

Had English peas earlier in the season, now I'm growing Indian yellow peas that are great for stir-fry as you can leave the pod on.

post-475-0-01116900-1435686696_thumb.jpg

Salad from lettuce, mostly oakleaf, and arugula, all grown in my organic garden.

post-475-0-02787600-1435686712_thumb.jpg

First cabbage to ripen was a red one, just got a green one today, plenty more to come!

post-475-0-56110500-1435686728_thumb.jpg

Black Beauty eggplant is flowering in preparation for fruit.

Only some baby arugula from thinning the row so far.  My sequential planting of green beans (we prefer them raw, so plan to have them fresh midsummer thru frost) was interrupted by Sunday's cold rain - perfect rot-in-ground wx.  June's avg daily max of 66 not helping much, though the pac choi is doing well.

My garden's doing great...I've been harvesting lettuce, arugula, peas and herbs (mostly basil, oregano, and mint) since early May. More recently, I've harvested 1 red cabbage and 1 green cabbage...got a few more coming. Tomatoes are green on the vine, zucchini have small fruits, and yellow peas are getting going...I agree we could use a little more heat as my peppers are getting kind of yellow and tomatoes are slower than other years.

attachicon.gifgarden1pea.jpg

Had English peas earlier in the season, now I'm growing Indian yellow peas that are great for stir-fry as you can leave the pod on.

attachicon.gifgarden9salad.jpg

Salad from lettuce, mostly oakleaf, and arugula, all grown in my organic garden.

attachicon.gifgarden10cabbage.jpg

First cabbage to ripen was a red one, just got a green one today, plenty more to come!

attachicon.gifgarden11eggplant.jpg

Black Beauty eggplant is flowering in preparation for fruit.

God looking vegetable.  Does picking 2 heads of cabbage deserve the term "harvest"?  :)

God looking vegetable. Does picking 2 heads of cabbage deserve the term "harvest"? :)

LOL, luckily I've got 4-5 more cabbage coming. They are loving the cool, wet summer along with my lettuce, arugula, and peas. My tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers could use more heat, however.

Definitely been a dearth of days 85+ here this summer when we usually get quite a few. Our average high does get up to 86 though in mid-late July, so we will see some soon. I believe normals are around 83/63 right now in southern Westchester/NYC metro.

I'm about to freak out with the vole population.  They are mass murdering stuff this year.... ate my lupines, liatris, yarrow, half my euphorbia, some spider asters, tunneled under a 25' row of petunias disrupting them, and just lots of spiteful stuff like biting plants off and not even eating them.  They don't seem interested in baited traps.  

I'm about to freak out with the vole population.  They are mass murdering stuff this year.... ate my lupines, liatris, yarrow, half my euphorbia, some spider asters, tunneled under a 25' row of petunias disrupting them, and just lots of spiteful stuff like biting plants off and not even eating them.  They don't seem interested in baited traps.

Get some garter snakes. I have one living along the backside of the house now. Om nom nom.

Archived