NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1158 AM EDT THU MAR 19 2015

MDZ003-501-502-WVZ051-200000-

/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0006.150320T0700Z-150320T1800Z/

/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0010.150320T0700Z-150320T1800Z/

WASHINGTON-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-

MORGAN-

1158 AM EDT THU MAR 19 2015

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 2 PM EDT FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM

3 AM TO 2 PM EDT FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN

EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES...HIGHER

AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE ALONG RIDGETOPS.

* TIMING...LIGHT RAIN WILL MOVE IN THIS EVENING...TRANSITIONING

TO ALL SNOW BY MIDNIGHT. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED LATE

TONIGHT THROUGH MID FRIDAY MORNING.

I think this one could be a sleeper, one thing you can say is that WAA is not a factor at any stage, it is mainly a question of how effective cooling through condensation and inflow of slightly colder air might prove to be into an air mass that figures to start out at about 39/37 all rain in many places. This is quite speculative but would not be surprised if a band of 5-8 inch accumulation developed somewhere between the I-95 and the southern tier of counties in PA, most likely along the border or slightly into MD.

Would be surprised if DCA managed an inch from this, IAD maybe 2.5" -- urban heating may be just enough of a tipping point to skew the results away from larger urban areas and make this a rural special.

I do like the last phase of the event as shown on RGEM as this combines a better surface wind direction with better diurnal factors. Figure anyway this will be a mixed result with some happy campers and some ending up without much if any accumulation.

I have a friend at VTech who says it's snowing there with temps in the upper 30s and low 40s

Thanks! It looks like their forecast is for mostly rain transitioning to liquid after 2:00, so definitely something to keep an eye on. The night timing should be great for us.

I'll be content with SnowTV and perhaps a slushy coating on the cartop. I'm a bit too far southeast. This is a MD/PA special, elevation special. Mountains of VA, C MD and PA, good shellacking for mid March. 

Get the shovels ready. Bob might need to use the Face for his backyard.

I'll be content with SnowTV and perhaps a slushy coating on the cartop. I'm a bit too far southeast. This is a MD/PA special, elevation special

Same here, although I see it is snowing on several 511 cameras south of me already with temp in low 40's????? Must be those upper teens DPs. haha An inch will be a winner, but expecting slushy cartopper special.

Same here, although I see it is snowing on several 511 cameras south of me already with temp in low 40's????? Must be those upper teens DPs. haha An inch will be a winner, but expecting slushy cartopper special.

What's your average? I have family east of you in Amherst. I believe they usually average around 15" or so. Beautiful part of the state.

What's your average? I have family east of you in Amherst. I believe they usually average around 15" or so. Beautiful part of the state.

Snowfall per year? About 27, sitting at 33.7 on year right now. That sounds a hair low for Amherst, I'd think 18-20 would be closer, although they are on other side of BR.

This is all snow. 

nam4km_apcpn_neus_9.png

Charles Town and C MD need winter storm warnings. NOW.

This is one of those events where that extra 500 feet of elev can make the storm go BOOM, very quickly with WSW amounts on grassy surfaces and possibly even on roads in CharlesTown and in Central MD. Ridgetops near Hillsboro better look out, they could pile on even more. Route 7 bypass has 700 foot elev. Congrats! Easy 6 inches.

You live in that community in those McMansions right near the Rt 9 cutoff, Rack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em up. The line starts at the Mississippi and everybody better take a number.

Haha! Maybe one is a 'slant stick 2'?

PLUS already failed on south side by 50-75 miles as it is snowing on traffic cams as far south as Radford, Va over to Bluefield, WV

Radarscope just transitioned from green to large swath of snow when expectations were for the other way around.

Archived