• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

The little nook in the corner between my house and garage feels amazing right now with the deep blues despite the low 40s. The NW winds get blocked by the garage so I get to make some D3 in my own little toasty 5' x 5' paradise. The nape is already colored.

damn, powder, you better be wearing sunscreen

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a classic looking late season snow depth map...excpet it's like 3 weeks later than usual...you can see the variability in the snow depths...probably a lot of it is based on where the coop site is...more exposed to sun or not or slight south facing slope or not

1_day_snowdepth_19.gif

Thanks guys.

I've been in once and was given the 6 day step-down of Prednisone. I hate pills and so far these are no exception. I'm on day 4 now and the pain is pretty strong again today. It feels like it originates in my middle back and I get the tingling at times down both arms and both legs. The heating pad helps calm the spasms down, but I can't keep it on 24/7. Like Kevin said, I need to improve my core. I haven't worked out in awhile because I've been putting off an umbilical hernia surgery too. So now my front and back core are both f'ed up. :axe:

I was initially paranoid about MS because of the tingling in all 4 limbs, but I've had no muscle weakness. I have a follow up with my primary care Dr Wed afternoon so hopefully I can get in for some xrays or something. This completely sucks...not being able to move isn't helping either matters either.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems that no two back injuries are the same (like snowflakes, I guess), so one person's experiences may have little resemblance to another's.  That said, here's another data point.

I started getting occasional back spasms with severe sciatic leg pain when I was about 20.  When I was in my mid 30s, I finally got an MRI which revealed a herniated disc.  Sometimes I'll go several weeks with no pain.  Other times I'll get an occasional dull ache in my lower back and legs when standing, which responds pretty well to ibuprofen.  It rarely goes into complete spasm these days and bounces back pretty quickly when it does.  Most of the time I'm pain free and the painful periods are usually easily managed, though I'm cognizant that it's a delicate balance.

Keeping active seems to help a lot.  Running, in particular, makes the pain go away very efficiently. I run, swim, bike, and ski frequently and aggressively, and all of those seem to help, though skiing can throw it into a mild spasm if I make a really awkward move.

The things that bring on pain for my back is lifting and standing.  Walking around and running for long periods are great, but standing still makes it hurt very quickly.  Parties where everyone is standing around are a challenge.  Painting baseboard trim seems to aggravate it every time.

Good luck with your diagnosis, etc.  That feeling of fragility when my back is acting up is the worst, and when it's there it's hard to see past it.  I fight though those periods by reminding myself that it's just temporary.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems that no two back injuries are the same (like snowflakes, I guess), so one person's experiences may have little resemblance to another's.  That said, here's another data point.

I started getting occasional back spasms with severe sciatic leg pain when I was about 20.  When I was in my mid 30s, I finally got an MRI which revealed a herniated disc.  Sometimes I'll go several weeks with no pain.  Other times I'll get an occasional dull ache in my lower back and legs when standing, which responds pretty well to ibuprofen.  It rarely goes into complete spasm these days and bounces back pretty quickly when it does.  Most of the time I'm pain free and the painful periods are usually easily managed, though I'm cognizant that it's a delicate balance.

Keeping active seems to help a lot.  Running, in particular, makes the pain go away very efficiently. I run, swim, bike, and ski frequently and aggressively, and all of those seem to help, though skiing can throw it into a mild spasm if I make a really awkward move.

The things that bring on pain for my back is lifting and standing.  Walking around and running for long periods are great, but standing still makes it hurt very quickly.  Parties where everyone is standing around are a challenge.  Painting baseboard trim seems to aggravate it every time.

Good luck with your diagnosis, etc.  That feeling of fragility when my back is acting up is the worst, and when it's there it's hard to see past it.  I fight though those periods by reminding myself that it's just temporary.

pretty much what i go through since my skiing accident, lots of Motrin but some days are brutal

Kind of a classic looking late season snow depth map...excpet it's like 3 weeks later than usual...you can see the variability in the snow depths...probably a lot of it is based on where the coop site is...more exposed to sun or not or slight south facing slope or not

1_day_snowdepth_19.gif

Wow there's still 10" on the ground near Boston?

NYC area lost most of its snow by 3/20.

Wow there's still 10" on the ground near Boston?

NYC area lost most of its snow by 3/20.

Yep, and there hasn't been a warning criteria snowfall since Feb 15th in that area...pretty amazing. Usually to have good snow depth this late, you need some whoppers in mid/late March.

it's really a testament to the obscene snow depths from February combined with the cold March pattern and its lack of torches.

Yep, and there hasn't been a warning criteria snowfall since Feb 15th in that area...pretty amazing. Usually to have good snow depth this late, you need some whoppers in mid/late March.

it's really a testament to the obscene snow depths from February combined with the cold March pattern and its lack of torches.

March is running about -5 in the Northeast and we have yet to see widespread 60s. Crazy to think that we were -3,-12, and -5 for the last few months here. April looks to start chilly too.

We haven't seen major snowstorm here since 8" on 3/7 but did get 3" on 3/20...that wet snow melted quickly though.

Archived