• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

75-80F w/ low dews is my ideal summer. I would take that from May to Sept and love it.

pretty much what we all had all last summer.  I've never seen such a stretch of dry, non humid  and breezy weather in my life.  Only one 90 degree day here and I think that came in the 1st week of Sept which was the warmest week of the whole summer.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good time to visit. About a 12-13hr drive including time change. Or the obnoxiously overpriced ferry from Portland Me. to Yarmouth is an option if $$ is no object.

Sent from my iPhone

We would love to do the ferry on the way there but yeah, it is freakin' expensive! My kid would be thrilled though and it would be relaxing so we'll see where are budget is at in the next few weeks.

We will be in Dartmouth for a few days with my wife's family and then PEI for the rest of the time!

Holy crap!  After reading this I went on the website and checked it out.  For me, my wife and my 11 year old son, taking my Ford Focus, it would be $600!  I mean I guess it is a long trip but that is a lot of money.

Coldest 3 month period ever

NWS Boston ‏@NWSBoston  1m

@growingwisdom Will have a post on this tomorrow but you are correct. Coldest Jan-Mar period in BOS since 1904. Coldest at PVD/BDL/ORH.

Coldest JFM on record is pretty impressive. These aren't short periods of record either like Islip, NY or even Dulles (IAD).

And if you think about it,,it really was Feb -Mar that were cold..Jan was not. That makes it even more impressive

Jan was like -3 departure. Not epic like February, but that's pretty cold.

Can you imagine the Torch Tickler rhetoric if it had been a +3?

Coldest 3 month period ever

NWS Boston ‏@NWSBoston  1m

@growingwisdom Will have a post on this tomorrow but you are correct. Coldest Jan-Mar period in BOS since 1904. Coldest at PVD/BDL/ORH.

We can also put to bed the silly Sept QPF correlation to Winter snow. I know a few posters were trying to rub that in back in January. Sept QPF is still highly convectively related which means high spatial variance from place to place. Not a good metric.

Holy crap!  After reading this I went on the website and checked it out.  For me, my wife and my 11 year old son, taking my Ford Focus, it would be $600!  I mean I guess it is a long trip but that is a lot of money.

Not that it would erase the whole cost, but if you factor in fuel and tolls and the fact that you're not driving the whole way and can relax, it's not so bad.  For me travel is about the journey and not just the destination.  My wife's family is from the midwest and we could fly there but we enjoy driving out there much more.  Not only is it cheaper but we get to see so much more and it's more comfortable.

We can also put to bed the silly Sept QPF correlation to Winter snow. I know a few posters were trying to rub that in back in January. Sept QPF is still highly convectively related which means high spatial variance from place to place. Not a good metric.

kiss that Dec snow correlation goodbye too

Jan was like -3 departure. Not epic like February, but that's pretty cold.

Can you imagine the Torch Tickler rhetoric if it had been a +3?

I like to just play by the numbers and not spin it either way.  I'm finishing up March with another record cold month and besting last years record.  I'd like to say that I wish January was colder but how can I beat having my coldest month ever?

I like to just play by the numbers and not spin it either way.  I'm finishing up March with another record cold month and besting last years record.  I'd like to say that I wish January was colder but how can I beat having my coldest month ever?

The Coop numbers are way colder than ASOS this month too, on the order of 3-4 degrees colder. 

The Coop numbers are way colder than ASOS this month too, on the order of 3-4 degrees colder. 

I was looking back through my records thinking it was interesting that March of last year is #2 and this year is #1.  I would have thought that would be semi unique but I found several concurrent occurrences over the past 30 years.  That doesn't include ones that are close.  The weather never fails to interest me, no matter what time of the year!

This will be the first year in my memory that I will have 100% snowpack on April 1.Technically I guess April 1997 had it with that storm . But in my 42 years I don't ever remember having preexisting deep snowpack OTG on April 1. Certainly the first time since I've been a homeowner that i haven't been able to do any yard work or spring cleanup.  

Any coops that do an early morning observation time will have raw numbers colder than the ASOS stations since the coops will basically be double-counting very cold min temps.

Some coops will be colder anyway if they are in a big radiational cooling location...but that difference can be amplified quite a bit by obs time.

Has anyone here dealt with major back pain/spasms and associated paresthesias in your limbs? I'm paranoid of a herniated disk in my middle back somewhere. Gah.

My herniated disc (in the neck, 4 yr ago) oddly caused no pain (might've been diagnosed sooner if it had), just took away strength and coordination, such that my signature became illegible and shoe-tying skill degraded to the age-4 level.  If I'd been asked to walk a straight line at a traffic stop, I'd have asked for the breathalizer, knowing the physical test would be a fail.  It took an MRI to discover the disc issue and resulting major spinal stenosis - until then my PCP was thinking MS because of the bilateral effects.  Two-level spinal fusion fixed the issue, though I probably regained less than 2/3 of lost coordination, did better with strength, maybe 80% recovery.  Compared to where I was headed - quadraplegia or worse - that was a blessing.  Though for me location and symptoms were different from yours, the MRI may be warranted if no other firm diagnosis can be reached.  (I'm assuming you've not had one, of course.)

Any coops that do an early morning observation time will have raw numbers colder than the ASOS stations since the coops will basically be double-counting very cold min temps.

Some coops will be colder anyway if they are in a big radiational cooling location...but that difference can be amplified quite a bit by obs time.

You referring to the 7-7 type timeframe?

I never look at COOP stations for highs and lows to gauge temps. It's all confusing with the TOBs.

lol....I'm the opposite.  Low temps are low temps and high temps are high temps.  Yeah you might get some doubles but I always make note of that.

What does Jeff do in Staffordville?

7a-7a though I think he does it earlier in the morning.

This will be the first year in my memory that I will have 100% snowpack on April 1.Technically I guess April 1997 had it with that storm . But in my 42 years I don't ever remember having preexisting deep snowpack OTG on April 1. Certainly the first time since I've been a homeowner that i haven't been able to do any yard work or spring cleanup.  

It was my understanding a few weeks back that there wouldn't be much 100% coverage on April 1st?

I will be down to about 20% tomorrow.  South/west slope FTL.

Yeah it's complete BS. I mean we wanted a ferry but we got the love boat...lol. It doesn't get you there any faster. Still 11hr crossing. You can drive it for a tank and a half to two tanks of gas for the same time. The only way i'd remotely think of taking it would be if it left from Halifax and went straight to Boston.

Archived