joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z gfs is actually a little better in my view....little more expansive on the north edge with precip.  Pretty close with totals after the flip to the 0z and 6z runs.

If the Euro can hold at its solution (wet dream....literally and figuratively), then I'm done with models.  And probably radar too.

Isn't the Euro better with southern stream systems anyway?

Historically, yes.  With the new GFS, who knows how big that advantage is.  If the Euro holds at 12z, I'd probably hedge a little lower, but not go down to the GFS' levels.  

it really just comes down to the timing of how long it takes for the arctic high to push everything through after the change

I doubt you'd ever get complete consensus on something like that considering the differences with the SE ridge on the models; and I don't mean a warm SE ridge, just the ridge that is out there right now

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=pr&inv=0&t=cur&expanddiv=hide_bar

I think it's interesting to match up the HPC snow forecasts and the NWS warnings with what we, here, view on the models.  Their heaviest snow thoughts are north of what the precip maps spit out..........or maybe it's just me being paranoid about being dry out here. 

For instance, I would think the areas south of Charlottesville would be looking at advisories based on the models, but I don't see any there.  The HPC heavy snow progs were also north of where I thought they'd be.

I think it's interesting to match up the HPC snow forecasts and the NWS warnings with what we, here, view on the models.  Their heaviest snow thoughts are north of what the precip maps spit out..........or maybe it's just me being paranoid about being dry out here. 

For instance, I would think the areas south of Charlottesville would be looking at advisories based on the models, but I don't see any there.  The HPC heavy snow progs were also north of where I thought they'd be.

The EURO also dropped over a foot for most of KY... I do not believe that will even come close to verifying.

Not real sure why everyone is saying this was great. It looks like less snow than previous runs to me...

because there are a lot of people over a large area that will have very different results in this forum.  And depending on their location they have very different "worries".  Up here temps are not a concern, qpf is so its worse.  If you are in DC or anywhere south of there temperatures are probably the worry first in their mind and so they see colder and that equals good run. 

Archived