joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking the GFS is trying to be too accurate for its own good. Recall yesterday with the small scale weird precip shadows off the mountains, almost seems like it is trying to do that to our entire region now after the changeover. Every storm this year that the GFS has been much better than the Euro on has been a coastal storm, this storm is a very different beast and the upgraded GFS is not yet proven on it.

Happens every storm. Gfs ends up being the driest model. with 24 hours...euro rgem nam and the high res models are better to use

seems like it used to be the Euro...the change is interesting.  And maybe I have selective memory but it always seems to be the 6z that takes a dump in the chili bowl....I don't buy into the off run nonsense as we know that is not true but 6z just seems to be the hangover run

So catching up on the Euro and 6z GFS. I'll only be lightly concerned if the 12z GFS continues to dry. Somehow I doubt it does when all the other models are QPF heavy. Also, hasn't the Euro greatness in the past always been in a southern stream system? GFS not nearly as good in this setup?

The 06Z GFS is notorious for taking away the euphoria from the previous night. 12Z will correct itself.

Since 8"+ snows are very rare (current nws forecast 8-10) I am always looking for what will screw me over this time. My concern is if this becomes two waves. First is mostly wasted before the cold arrives and the second slides south keeping the best vvs and banding south. Still would get some snow but not the 6-10 our forecast is. I liked the look 24 hours ago way better when everything looked like last nights euro with one consolidated wave not several pulses. Maybe the pros can chime in and tell me if that is legit or I'm just being my paranoid self.

I swear people see what they want. Explain how this is holding?

Last 3 gefs snow

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think the statement can also apply to you...as you appear to only be looking for things that screw you. If people walk into this knowing a solid 3-6 4-8" is on the table then EVERY model is inside that envelope....if you're a size queen then you're probably gonna be disappointed...sorry bro

Didn't see Cobb numbers posted:

For Westminster:

00z NAM 7z changeover .89qpf 10.7 snow

06z NAM 9z changeover .67qpf 7.3 snow

00z GFS 9z changeover .42qpf 7.3 snow (some snow/sleet prior to pure snow changeover)

06z GFS 6z changeover .24qpf 3.5 snow

I swear people see what they want. Explain how this is holding?

Last 3 gefs snow

I don't think that's necessarily as bad as it looks.  Ensembles will always have a spread.  That spread can only get tighter as the event approaches.  Because you can't go below zero snow (though it feels like we do, here!), and as the higher producing members approach the mean, the overall image of the ensemble mean will almost always show shrinkage as the event approaches.

I like the CWG forecast for DC: 4-7 inches

Gonna be hard to get 6-10 here and always worried that the storm will be a little drier. But hopefully the 6z GFS is just noise - either way, still a solid event. I still have a thick layer of ice on the ground in many areas in Navy Yard so I really doubt stickage will be a major problem.

Hope 12z runs look good!

I don't think that's necessarily as bad as it looks.  Ensembles will always have a spread.  That spread can only get tighter as the event approaches.  Because you can't go below zero snow (though it feels like we do, here!), and as the higher producing members approach the mean, the overall image of the ensemble mean will almost always show shrinkage as the event approaches.

ensembles aren't supposed to be used 24hrs from an event start time. time to focus on high-res models. 

Every member of the 06z suite came in drier.  These numbers are estimates for my back yard, but it's pretty widespread.

00z

NAM  0.83"

RGEM  0.67"

HR RGEM  0.91"

GFS  0.55"

06z

NAM  0.67"

RGEM  0.55"

HR RGEM  0.75"

GFS  0.35"

I think the statement can also apply to you...as you appear to only be looking for things that screw you. If people walk into this knowing a solid 3-6 4-8" is on the table then EVERY model is inside that envelope....if you're a size queen then you're probably gonna be disappointed...sorry bro

Do you realize a 3-6" snow is a bust when your nws forecast is 8-10.

Do you realize a 3-6" snow is a bust when your nws forecast is 8-10.

lol @ taking the NWS forecast seriously. They are either playing catch up after the event started, or ballsy 24 hours in advanced. 

Come on, you've been following the weather long enough to know what is realistic given the set up. Calm down. Enjoy the ride. 

Archived