joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been using the DuPage page forever now and I never paid any attention to the text output part on the skewt. I'm quite oblivious it seems. Thanks for bringing that "new" feature to my attention.

you're welcome

I actually prefer the text output and will only check the skewt to make sure some warming didn't sneak in between the text mb levels

no...DuPage College

here's the link to the model page

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/

once you click on that, click on the model off the horizontal menu

once you click on the model, you will see on the left column of the page the hours for maps

click on the hour you want, then put your mouse over the location you want-since you can;t be perfect, you can then input the exact coordinates near the bottom of the pop-up window that will show the skewt (BE SURE TO THEN CLICK ON "LOAD")

if you want text, you'll see an option under the skewt to the right that says "Raw Sounding Text"

to get the skewt back just click to the left of the text sounding to "Mean Layer Parcel"

what's also cool is that while it's on the skewt, you can put your mouse to the left of the skewt and it will take you back to the prior map and if you roll over the right side it takes you to the next map period

That's awesome Mitch. Thank you.

man, you said it

and on the bottom left map is the 700mb RH and we will be under the heaviest shade

That's it in a nutshell.  We are now confident that robust snow will blanket the

area.  The big question could be, "How long will maintain a conveyer belt over our

area before it shuts off?"  The high rez NAM goes past sunset on Thursday.

More importantly,

DProg/Dt from the last 3 NAM runs have trended farther south with the max snow axis. NAM is catching on...

Gottcha.  Learning in progress!

A particular rule of thumb was examined here: dprog/dt. Given a set of lagged forecasts from the same model all verifying at the same time, this rule of thumb suggests that if the forecasts show a trend, this trend is more likely than not to continue and thus provide useful information for correcting the most recent forecast.

That's it in a nutshell.  We are now confident that robust snow will blanket the

area.  The big question could be, "How long will maintain a conveyer belt over our

area before it shuts off?"  The high rez NAM goes past sunset on Thursday.

add the RGEM (in case you didn't see it)

Archived