• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

Sure, what levels/metrics/lead times/regions are you talking about?  Blanket statements about model A being superior to model B without real evidence (anectodal nonsense doesn't count) are annoying.  FYI, ECMWF > UKMO > GFS > The rest.

Weenie FYI - MODEL WITH MOST SNOW > the rest

ETA: SORRY - Should  be banter -

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any input on the storm instead of meaningless model verification discussion with PG that is just unnecessary. We know the deal with scores and verification. He's seen it too. How about your forecast for this event?

I don't think discussion of model verification is meaningless at all, it helps provide context.  See my comments regarding the UKMO model and high QPF bias for high threshold amounts.

I think that 4-8" for the DC metro area is probably a solid forecast (with 4-6 more likely than 6-8).

I don't think discussion of model verification is meaningless at all, it helps provide context.  See my comments regarding the UKMO model and high QPF bias for high threshold amounts.

I think that 4-8" for the DC metro area is probably a solid forecast (with 4-6 more likely than 6-8).

I like that argument!

I don't think discussion of model verification is meaningless at all, it helps provide context. See my comments regarding the UKMO model and high QPF bias for high threshold amounts.

I know you know all of these things more than the layman's here. Good call and I replied to your threshold post I saw your graphs over in banter. Good point for sure.

Final Call

DCA: 5-7" (5.3")

IAD: 6-8" (6.9")

JYO: 6-8" (6.2")

BWI: 6-8" (7.1")

OKV: 5-7" (6.0")

MRB: 4-6" (5.2")

DMW: 6-8" (7.0")

RIC: 2-4" (2.9")

Good call, espacially what's in the perentheses

agreed.  it's funny to me how people think no side topic should exist unless it's something important to them.  you have all these smart problem-solvers on here, but few people seem capable of scrolling past a post.

Below is the UKMET qpf that falls after 12z on Thursday.  The changeover won't be at 12z for everyone, but this should provide a rough estimate.  It looks a little better around Baltimore than the 00z run did.

e9vnSWb.gif

That map sucks for us out here. I gotta figure out how mush falls out here before 12Z.

Dude, how so?  It has you in the 10-15mm AFTER 12z.  That's 0.4 to 0.6 inches.  How much were you expecting after 12Z?

Yeah. Thats why I said I need to figure out on the UKMET how much we get before 12Z. I would like to see 6-8 at least. But I am just being greedy I suppose. It is March 4th afterall :)

Yep, it's been quite good for the past few months....how about other metrics/levels (near surface temps, winds, QPF, etc.)?  ECWMF > UKMO overall, even at 24 hours, despite the plot shown there for one metric/region/lead time.

WPC used to have a QPF verification of the Euro versus the GFS and NAM but I looked today and couldn't find it.  The last time I looked for the northeast, it had the best ETS but I haven't looked for quite awhile so I have no clue as to how it stacks up. 

Yeah. Thats why I said I need to figure out on the UKMET how much we get before 12Z. I would like to see 6-8 at least. But I am just being greedy I suppose. It is March 4th afterall :)

From 12z on, 0.6 would probably be 6-8".  It will be cold by then.

When I saw that map, I thought it looked great.

WPC used to have a QPF verification of the Euro versus the GFS and NAM but I looked today and couldn't find it.  The last time I looked for the northeast, it had the best ETS but I haven't looked for quite awhile so I have no clue as to how it stacks up. 

New resolutions -> new competition -> new verification

Archived