Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 5 Snow Thread-Model Discussion ONLY

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been mentioned by Ryan Maue among others, I don't have verification stats. Do you?

Sure, what levels/metrics/lead times/regions are you talking about?  Blanket statements about model A being superior to model B without real evidence (anectodal nonsense doesn't count) are annoying.  FYI, ECMWF > UKMO > GFS > The rest.

Below is the UKMET qpf that falls after 12z on Thursday.  The changeover won't be at 12z for everyone, but this should provide a rough estimate.  It looks a little better around Baltimore than the 00z run did.

e9vnSWb.gif

Yep, it's been quite good for the past few months....how about other metrics/levels (near surface temps, winds, QPF, etc.)?  ECWMF > UKMO overall, even at 24 hours, despite the plot shown there for one metric/region/lead time.

Someone mentioned on Twitter recently that the UKMET is #2, so I'll take your word.

Final Call

DCA: 5-7" (5.3")

IAD: 6-8" (6.9")

JYO: 6-8" (6.2")

BWI: 6-8" (7.1")

OKV: 5-7" (6.0")

MRB: 4-6" (5.2")

DMW: 6-8" (7.0")

RIC: 2-4" (2.9")

Shocker! Baltimore the big winner! Where you from?

things taking shape nicely to the south and west over the plains very juicy

Below is the UKMET qpf that falls after 12z on Thursday.  The changeover won't be at 12z for everyone, but this should provide a rough estimate.  It looks a little better around Baltimore than the 00z run did.

e9vnSWb.gif

don'tt hey also have a map that shows what falls as snow, or is that just for the rgem?

Yep, it's been quite good for the past few months....how about other metrics/levels (near surface temps, winds, QPF, etc.)? ECWMF > UKMO overall, even at 24 hours, despite the plot shown there for one metric/region/lead time.

Any input on the storm instead of meaningless model verification discussion with PG that is just unnecessary. We know the deal with scores and verification. He's seen it too. How about your forecast for this event?

I'm so confused on when we are changing to snow. I've seen a little after midnight, and then I see people posting saying it doesn't until 12Z?? That's almost a 12 hour difference.

last i checked... midnight (12) - 6 is ... 6. no where near 12

Someone mentioned on Twitter recently that the UKMET is #2, so I'll take your word.

It is but it has a high bias for high threshold QPF (>1"/day)...I posted a plot in the banter thread.  Something to keep in mind.....

Good post on the graphs. I agree it needs to be kept in mind but it is no issue having good high qpf. Reduce 25mm of snow even 25% and that's still .8qpf snow.

The way I see this is for most systems this winter modeled qpf was overdone.

It is but it has a high bias for high threshold QPF (>1"/day)...I posted a plot in the banter thread.  Something to keep in mind.....

Yes, I've noticed it has done well this winter with sniffing out trends with events, etc - but it generally  has been a bit too high on QPF.  Just my observations; no science to back it up. 

Archived