Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out this evening walking around and had a big-time deja vu of late 2/10 when the sunlight was the same and snow depth was similar having dropped from the monster peak of around 36" on 2/11/10. Very strange. I can't get enough snow, at least not living here. Maybe if I was in Boston this year I'd feel different, but I doubt it.

The vast majority of our DCA-era March's with a decent snowstorm had at least one other somewhat widespread measurable event at some other date during the month (either before or after), even if that other event is a snow-to-rain or rain-to-snow situation. In other words, if we have conditions favorable for snow that late in the season, it's usually not a one threat period:

3/56, 3/58, 3/60, 3/64, 3/65, 3/69, 3/78, 3/80, 3/84, 3/90, 3/93, 3/94, 3/96, 3/99, 3/13, 3/14

Euro weeklies show no extended warmth through the entire month of march and look cold relative to normal for the last week of the month.

Door to door -epo

Thanks Bob. I know this will border on heresy or insanity, but I now favor (seriously) the CFS2 forecasts for the month ahead over the Euro weeklies. The CFS2 used to jump around a lot but not so much any more. Euro weeklies have jumped some this year, though what you described sounds like "more of the same" persistence of the last 2 months.

For next year, I see the CFS2 is holding on to the +PDO, which should continue to help with the PAC. Now, if we can get some blocking we should stand the chance at another active, if not snowy, winter.

The vast majority of our DCA-era March's with a decent snowstorm had at least one other somewhat widespread measurable event at some other date during the month (either before or after), even if that other event is a snow-to-rain or rain-to-snow situation. In other words, if we have conditions favorable for snow that late in the season, it's usually not a one threat period:

3/56, 3/58, 3/60, 3/64, 3/65, 3/69, 3/78, 3/80, 3/84, 3/90, 3/93, 3/94, 3/96, 3/99, 3/13, 3/14

yeah i was thinking that off my head earlier but good to see stats to back it up. if i didn't live in the city i'd be more interested in this coming march than i am.. tho i guess i'm agnostic on it in reality. every day we don't score IMBY we need a lot more to come together just right to score moving forward. but we've been rolling.. perhaps a brief relax and we go back.

It's been a bad year for large real estate big storms. Even during our amplified +pna period this month nothing really blew up. Just regional quick hitters.

Nao progs and plots definitely looks less hostile. Maybe we get some sort of transient -nao timed with another pna spike. I'm not feeling a big storm setup happening but march can be an explosive month with storms.

I was out this evening walking around and had a big-time deja vu of late 2/10 when the sunlight was the same and snow depth was similar having dropped from the monster peak of around 36" on 2/11/10. Very strange. I can't get enough snow, at least not living here. Maybe if I was in Boston this year I'd feel different, but I doubt it.

My reply is probably best for the banter thread, but I agree with you to an extent.  I can't get enough snow from Thanksgiving until the beginning of March.  As things are, I'll take March snow, but only because I didn't get it from Turkey Day to now.  If I had gotten it for three months, I'd be fine with punting March.  And for me, that's the trade off of living here as opposed to further north.  We may not get as much snow as SNE, but I can recall plenty of late March and early April days where even the best winters were a recent memory and I was out working late in the yard on some garden project enjoying a spectacular spring evening, while Boston was getting snow.  And worse, they were still weeks away from their famous mud season.

I know that you weren't comparing the two regions, but I'll take the misery that comes with snow season here for the benefits that come in late March and April.  And even October and November.

I think the snowcover fires up extra neuro sensors in us snow nuts. Kinda like a reverse SAD.

I like cold without snow also so this has been very good and I have done some -20 wind chill Jebodia back yard walks.  

The GFS seems to be screaming about one final, end of the season arctic blast on March 6th

followed by a major pattern change.  By March 11th, it doesn't even seem to get below

freezing at night in our area.

The March 6 blast could be historic for freezing down to the GOM coast!

So:  a couple front end thumps to rain and then forsythias.

If we get a triple phaser, I will change my name to whatever you choose.

Get ready to change it, because Ginxy is a high order meteorological genius.

In the meantime, I had better see some posting of models in this thread. We got us a storm on Sunday. We are going to track it and we are going to get significant snow, probably as a front end thump.

Not sure how heavy it is but we got hosed with the morning snow. Philly had a decent band that died off and just as that happened, a bunch of snow blossomed just of 95, especially down toward DC.

I rode through that on my bike a while ago in Arlington...it was just flurries.

Archived