Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginxy up in the NE forum thinks we could have a triple phaser. Wouldn't THAT be a BLAST?!!!

I wonder if we FINALLY get to have a Block?

Jeb, Ginxy was basing that on the possibility of getting a +pna in tandem with a -nao. While it's possible, until we actually have a decent -nao prog inside of 7 days we shouldn't get our hopes up for anything. As has happened all year, the -nao look that was showing up around march 9th or so is getting pushed back in time. This could easily be a year of no blocking from door to door.

Jeb, Ginxy was basing that on the possibility of getting a +pna in tandem with a -nao. While it's possible, until we actually have a decent -nao prog inside of 7 days we shouldn't get our hopes up for anything. As has happened all year, the -nao look that was showing up around march 9th or so is getting pushed back in time. This could easily be a year of no blocking from door to door.

what NAO are we talking about? Am i missing something?

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

Exactly. And until that changes, the fabled march snow bomb ain't happening. At least not at our latitude.

were not gettting Greenland blocking this winter. If it comes, it will likely be too late to give us anything. To me, we are still in the same pattern that requires luck to get cold and precip to come together. It worked out in Feb...maybe it will work out once in March. I noticed the globals are going nuts for El Nino next year....so maybe blocking can work out next winter lol

were not gettting Greenland blocking this winter. If it comes, it will likely be too late to give us anything. To me, we are still in the same pattern that requires luck to get cold and precip to come together. It worked out in Feb...maybe it will work out once in March. I noticed the globals are going nuts for El Nino next year....so maybe blocking can work out next winter lol

I feel bad for HM and Cohen. HM has been trying to predict NAO all winter just like Cohen has tried to predict -AO all winter. We got lucky and unlucky in alot of ways. Lucky to have had decent snow with no blocking but unlucky to not have gotten more snow with so much cold air from January forward.

Just about too late for -NAO to do a whole lot of good.  Hopefully it stays positive until Nov/Dec and maybe we finally time a nino w/ some blocking again and start off next winter with a KU.  I want one more timed event to get me to, or just over, climo.  Nothing is worse than seeing a big march snow only to have it vaporize in the sun the following day.  It's a waste of precious flakes.

I feel bad for HM and Cohen. HM has been trying to predict NAO all winter just like Cohen has tried to predict -AO all winter. We got lucky and unlucky in alot of ways. Lucky to have had decent snow with no blocking but unlucky to not have gotten more snow with so much cold air from January forward.

I don't think we got unlucky at all this year. We got saved by the pac. To have a decent # of all snow events is remarkable. This year and last year will go down as flukes in the lucky dept.

The mega +ao in Jan was a dagger. I became extremely skeptical at a flip. Especially towards mid/late month. The AO can be a persistent beast. It showed its hand early too. Cohen had no choice but to hold serve. What he published in his weekly updates and what his real thoughts were are probably 2 different things.

Can someone please explain this map to me and tell me what it needs to look like to show a negative NAO?

On that map you want oranges where the blue circle is or over Greenland area really. And maybe a blue down by Newfoundland. General idea..

That's one heck of a Sunday mess on the 12z NAM - over 0.5" of liquid at DCA - sleet going quickly to freezing rain.

I just saw that.....BWI looks to get maybe an inch of snow before changing to sleet then zr

I'm just hoping we can get more sleet than zr; there has been a trend to cool things down as the period approaches so maybe we can keep getting colder to increase the sleet portion

....all of this with the assumption the NAM is correct, which is probably not smart, I know

Archived