• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

Although NWS is showing mixy events in the next 7 days, every day is showing above freezing every day. When did we last have a stretch of 7 days above freezing for highs?

Maybe it is more recent than I remember.. but seems like we have had a great BN streak!

Yes. Def looks like it would be hard to get anything other than slop. But we have a ways to go and all our storms pretty much come down to the wire this year. We can always eek out a bit more frozen in these parts. But now I am sorta rooting for sixties if all we can look forward to are scrapes while 40N sees good frozen.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks bumpy with no optimal snow pattern. Actually some possible warmth showing in 12 days or so. In skeptical of that but would enjoy it if it happens

Pattern does seem to look more spring like by day 10 or so.. cold retreat north and growing warmth over the country. Highly doubtful it will be a clean transition of course.. but this current set of cold shots alone has wimpified in closing and there's no sign of big cold after anytime soon. 

Meh the trail energy kind of got sheared, but it would be one way to sneak an event in there

Actually still ends up decent DC and south.. but that would be one way we rarely sneak an event in here. 

Anafrontal?

Mostly. Looks like weak impulses riding the boundary as it presses. I don't buy into cold chasing precip too often but it's a fairly good look on the gfs/euro if we are going to pull off another lucky event.

Matt, looks like more than .20 would fall as snow. Changeover happens right @ hr 144 or so. 150-156 both drop more precip. Looks like close to 4" for dca.

Bob-For Sunday. What mass of precip are we following? Is it what is in OK/TX right now or is it something west of that? The mass in TX/OK will not be able to cut to our west because this time the high to the north is moving eastward in tandem with it rather than lagging behind. If it is something to west of current TX/OK mass then by then cold high would be off the coast and it's not another miracle worker like last coastal high.

Bob-For Sunday. What mass of precip are we following? Is it what is in OK/TX right now or is it something west of that? The mass in TX/OK will not be able to cut to our west because this time the high to the north is moving eastward in tandem with it rather than lagging behind. If it is something to west of current TX/OK mass then by then cold high would be off the coast and it's not another miracle worker like last coastal high.

It's simple return flow overrunning up from tx/ok that spreads eastward through the midwest. The bulk goes north in pa-new england. HP placement to our south and east is pretty bad for us to expect much.

It's simple return flow overrunning up from tx/ok that spreads eastward through the midwest. The bulk goes north in pa-new england. HP placement to our south and east is pretty bad for us to expect much.

Thanks. I do not think the high pressure will set up like that and since it is the OK/TX current precip we are talking about I think Sunday will be snowier in DC than the models and discussion are currently showing.

These anafrontal masses tend to lag behind, but eventually work their way out across the region

It's not really the mass over TX.. if anything it's stuff that develops tomorrow over the southern plains. We'll go into it relatively cold which is probably the main bonus but at this range it seems unlikely to turn into much. 

GGEM op run gives about 0.4" qpf of snow from the cold front on Thursday.  Not a lot of support in the 12z CMC ensemble or GEFS, although more so than the 00z runs.  One of the GEFS members gives DC over a foot of snow on Thursday.

RGEM ensembles have good support for a little snow on Sunday, with a couple members showing a few inches for DC. 

Even if Thurs has some support its way too far off to get too into a setup like that. If it's still there Monday lets talk. ;)

No doubt. We've seen many cold chasing precip looks at medium to long leads. I'm not sure I remember any working out. Maybe that rain to snow deal last year was one. I'm a little foggy on how it played out though. Prob not apples to apples. Matt would know.

Archived