joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, what is timing on the potential event?

Sent from my iPhone

Variable timing with the flip but sometime after midnight Wed night to early aft thurs. Assuming it happens. GFS/GEFS are kinda lasered right now. 9 out of 12 gefs members from 12z give at least some snow. Half give decent snow. Weird storm.

Variable timing with the flip but sometime after midnight Wed night to early aft thurs. Assuming it happens. GFS/GEFS are kinda lasered right now. 9 out of 12 gefs members from 12z give at least some snow. Half give decent snow. Weird storm.

Thanks. Sorry to ask on something five days out that may not happen but having to advise on possible issues for the play and cannot get to computer to look at runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahh, must come between 96 and 120 hrs around here as 120 hrs. it is definitely east as I posted

it actually looks better than last night to me.. not a perfect hit for us but more in line with the gfs. last night was mostly focused NW with anything good.

it actually looks better than last night to me.. not a perfect hit for us but more in line with the gfs. last night was mostly focused NW with anything good.

idk, the last 2 weeks have been magical for us

everything has trended in our favor

at this point in the season, I don't think we lose that, rather, it just goes into a spring pattern and then we're done

so I agree with you on the one hand that we don't usually do well with these types of setups, but the pattern just keeps proving itself, so I ain't bettin' against it and just gunna' figure it's going to snow moderately Wed night/Thurs morning

idk, the last 2 weeks have been magical for us

everything has trended in our favor

at this point in the season, I don't think we lose that, rather, it just goes into a spring pattern and then we're done

so I agree with you on the one hand that we don't usually do well with these types of setups, but the pattern just keeps proving itself, so I ain't bettin' against it and just gunna' figure it's going to snow moderately Wed night/Thurs morning

Science!

Finally a voice of reason

the north trend is a myth...there has been a south trend lately and this isnt the kind of storm that you can rely on a north trend. Getting really tired being south of all the good moisture lately. The euro is horribly dry for our area

the north trend is a myth...there has been a south trend lately and this isnt the kind of storm that you can rely on a north trend. Getting really tired being south of all the good moisture lately. The euro is horribly dry for our area

I've got $20 that says that the stripe of heaviest snow shown by the Euro will be well north of that, if it even exists.

Yeah, I think the seasonal trend thing is nonsense. Different boundary conditions w/ every storm, obviously the modeling will handle them differently. The Jan clipper and WAA storm both trended SE as we closed in..last coastal trended NW.

Yeah, I think the seasonal trend thing is nonsense. Different boundary conditions w/ every storm, obviously the modeling will handle them differently. The Jan clipper and WAA storm both trended SE as we closed in..last coastal trended NW.

then you're not a very good student of climatology my friend

if you go back you will see that just about every event we've had of consequence in the last 2 weeks was first modeled to our south, and every event that hit Boston was first modeled to hit us hard

JI is a whiner and gets more jollies off computer runs than falling snow....fine, if that's what he wants to do, but to deny historical fact that can easily be researched on this Board is absurd

if you go back you will see that just about every event we've had of consequence in the last 2 weeks was first modeled to our south, and every event that hit Boston was first modeled to hit us hard

JI is a whiner and gets more jollies off computer runs than falling snow....fine, if that's what he wants to do, but to deny historical fact that can easily be researched on this Board is absurd

Huh???

Here is how I remember the last few threats of the last two weeks.

Super front threat feb 14: the miller b ended up about where it was forecasted from 5 days out. The weird inverted trough feature actually trended way south and ended up over nj vs nyc and ct. So did the best lift with the front. Verdict no north trend. Perhaps south trend with trough feature

The feb 17 storm was well north and looked like several waves going north of us from 120 hours out. Then it shifted way south as models resolved the two wave idea before coming back north around 48 hours out only to adjust south about 50 miles at the end. Verdict: all over but definitely not an overall north trend as storm ended up way south of where it was from a week out.

Feb 21. Started as a low cutting way north I still have an image from 5 days out showing rain to buffalo with that. We were supposed to be 50 and rain. It trended way south as models weakened the low.

Feb 26. From 5 days out gfs and euro had a few runs that were a nice hit up the coast. Even a few that changed us to rain. Then around day 3-4 they shifted way south only to come back north some the last 48 hours. Verdict still ended south of the consensus 5 days out.

March 1. Not over yet but it's definitely been trending south the last 24 hours.

Is my memory going bad because that's honestly how I remember each event and from that I can't see how you can argue there has been an overall north trend in this pattern. I kind of side with ji here. The last few times I've needed the mythical north trend Iys let me down.

I think your memory is a bit wonky, my friend. I can count at least three events this winter that trended south, within what we might call the believable range.

If you're talking about trends out beyond 5 days, that's something else. I don't look at that stuff much..

Huh???

Here is how I remember the last few threats of the last two weeks.

Super front threat feb 14: the miller b ended up about where it was forecasted from 5 days out. The weird inverted trough feature actually trended way south and ended up over nj vs nyc and ct. So did the best lift with the front. Verdict no north trend. Perhaps south trend with trough feature

The feb 17 storm was well north and looked like several waves going north of us from 120 hours out. Then it shifted way south as models resolved the two wave idea before coming back north around 48 hours out only to adjust south about 50 miles at the end. Verdict: all over but definitely not an overall north trend as storm ended up way south of where it was from a week out.

Feb 21. Started as a low cutting way north I still have an image from 5 days out showing rain to buffalo with that. We were supposed to be 50 and rain. It trended way south as models weakened the low.

Feb 26. From 5 days out gfs and euro had a few runs that were a nice hit up the coast. Even a few that changed us to rain. Then around day 3-4 they shifted way south only to come back north some the last 48 hours. Verdict still ended south of the consensus 5 days out.

March 1. Not over yet but it's definitely been trending south the last 24 hours.

Is my memory going bad because that's honestly how I remember each event and from that I can't see how you can argue there has been an overall north trend in this pattern. I kind of side with ji here. The last few times I've needed the mythical north trend Iys let me down.

Actually, I think you pretty well summarize it here, psuhoffman.  I don't recall all the details but there certainly has not been one or another "seasonal" trend.  Events this month have gone both ways as you delineate here.  In particular, last Saturday's event most definitely trended south and weaker, as a result of the very entrenched cold air.  It essentially turned into an overrunning situation as the surface and mid-levels gradually warmed.  So we got a lot more snow than we would have normally in such a set-up.

(ETA:  While it was back in early January, the over-performing clipper at that time actually trended south, I believe.)

Archived