joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accuwx snow maps show around 4" for DCA and BWI on the Euro, which corresponds to the text output

I've noticed that different numbers do come out of the diff venders, so who knows, but it doesn't really matter since it's 4 days away

The differences are frustrating. Eurowx text output has 9.9 for dca.8.1 at bwi and 10.6 at sby. Peagle rely too much on the color maps.

The differences are frustrating. Eurowx text output has 9.9 for dca.8.1 at bwi and 10.6 at sby. Peagle rely too much on the color maps.

it's a positive it's on the euro at this range and good to see it on the Canadian with the GFS sorta wavering, but close enough so you know it will be back

judging by the snow map its more than 6in

Not sure why you would use a snow map verbatim as they are usually based of off wildly optimistic ratios and other algorithms that are often flawed.  Should probably use soundings and adjusting accordingly.  I believe that's where Matt got his figures from, by using that method.

Not sure why you would use a snow map verbatim as they are usually based of off wildly optimistic ratios and other algorithms that are often flawed.  Should probably use soundings and adjusting accordingly.  I believe that's where Matt got his figures from, by using that method.

Yeah, those aren't particularly helpful, especially when we're talking 4-5 days out.  But they are interesting to look at all the same!  At any rate, for right now I'm just glad that this potential is still hanging around, though the GFS seems to have lost it somewhat while the Euro now goes all-out (go figure!).  I don't know if the GFS is in its "lose it just inside 5 days before finding it again" phase (which it sometimes does), or if it's just normal variability.  I'm sure it's just normal model back-and-forth.  GEFS mean (00Z and 06Z) which I took a quick peek at indicates it's still there.  I was mostly looking at the period ~00Z Wednesday night through 00Z Thursday night.

It's not the most common set-up for an event here, surely, and it may end up as nothing in the end.  But the fact that it's been showing up for awhile keeps it in play.

Yeah, those aren't particularly helpful, especially when we're talking 4-5 days out.  But they are interesting to look at all the same!  At any rate, for right now I'm just glad that this potential is still hanging around, though the GFS seems to have lost it somewhat while the Euro now goes all-out (go figure!).  I don't know if the GFS is in its "lose it just inside 5 days before finding it again" phase (which it sometimes does), or if it's just normal variability.  I'm sure it's just normal model back-and-forth.  GEFS mean (00Z and 06Z) which I took a quick peek at indicates it's still there.  I was mostly looking at the period ~00Z Wednesday night through 00Z Thursday night.

It's not the most common set-up for an event here, surely, and it may end up as nothing in the end.  But the fact that it's been showing up for awhile keeps it in play.

It's somewhat encouraging that the euro and ggem are going all in on it, but at the same time, but of those models have struggled a little.  The GFS is actually performing well, relatively speaking, so it's a little bit of a letdown that it lost the fun and continued with the 6z run.   Maybe 12z will bring it back.

We just can't know yet.

It's somewhat encouraging that the euro and ggem are going all in on it, but at the same time, but of those models have struggled a little.  The GFS is actually performing well, relatively speaking, so it's a little bit of a letdown that it lost the fun and continued with the 6z run.   Maybe 12z will bring it back.

We just can't know yet.

Yeah, I hear you on that...it was a let-down that the last two cycles of the GFS kind of dropped it.  Somehow I knew that would happen eventually.  I'm still encouraged that the ensembles seem to still have the event, at least in the mean from what I saw.  As you say, the (new) GFS has actually performed well this year despite some of the bashing it's received.  Even if 12Z doesn't "bring it back" or bring it back completely, it's still worth watching.

just commenting on what the map showed, not saying its right

ohh so nice of you. Made a simple comment and you turn nasty wow!!

Sorry.  I was just being snarky.  This happens every run of every model.  I say I think a model shows 4" for DC, and someone tells me their snow map has 34".  It gets annoying after a while.  Not directed at you.  Just in general.

wxbell running slow so bring it home. 12z GEFS looked excellent imo.

snow by 6z or so.. thru maybe 18-20z most spots. good thump.. 3-6/4-8 type (prob the former actually..) it seems locally but we're well placed.

Archived