Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

It's a go boys. I'm all in. Bob just said the EPS are in

Eps look like a 3-5" avg across the area.

Eta: gfs is alone is centering the wave south. In the end my bigger fear is if the sw energy ejects more and this ends up a bit more amped it could shift north like the feb 2-3 storm last year. Best case scenario would be to get the front to clear east then get the more amped solution.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ground is frozen everywhere probably to a minimum of a foot deep, most likely more. A couple of warm days, at least one of which will likely be cloudy, has ZERO chance of undoing that. Sure, you can warm some asphalt, a little, but it takes a long time to warm the ground to the point where it can effect snowfall.

And, as Ian said, you've got to melt the snow first.

I'm looking at road temps more than grass cover. I'm concerned about road conditions for work, grass cover for personal fun ;-)

Yes, but you've already put your chips back in for next year. ;)

I see nothing at this point to indicate next year will suck. If anything early signs are good. Of course it's a crap shoot this far out but why be negative until there is a reason too. Besides I don't need 40" to be happy. Give me one good 12"+ snow and a good 10 day period of snowcover and I'm ok. I can pull that off up here in a mediocre year usually.

I see nothing at this point to indicate next year will suck. If anything early signs are good. Of course it's a crap shoot this far out but why be negative until there is a reason too. Besides I don't need 40" to be happy. Give me one good 12"+ snow and a good 10 day period of snowcover and I'm ok. I can pull that off up here in a mediocre year usually.

We are due for something nasty and torchy, based on statistics and also the progression of oscillations.

I don't really get the "we're due for another torch winter" talk.  Maybe it's for humor.  Yeah, we had a great winter last year and this one is now working out well, thanks to a great 4-6 week period right at the end.  If it weren't for that, we'd all be complaining how this year sucked or how cold was wasted every time (not long ago, that's what we were doing!).

We've had our share of crap winters in terms of snow and/or torches recently.  2007-08 sucked, I don't recall much other than a good clipper system in December; 2008-09 was meh except for the early March event; 2010-11 wasn't awful but other than Commutageddon there's not much memorable (except the fail for Boxing Day, and that's not a good kind of memorable!); 2011-12 and 2012-13 were about as bad as it could get.  That's plenty of "bad" or "meh" winters in there to make up for a couple of other good ones we've had.  Remember when it was all we could do to break the streak of not having a 2"+ event in DC, which went on for nearly 3 years?

That's what you were saying about this winter back in October. If anything we're due for a -NAO.

I could see a 2006-07 type deal next winter if we go Niño/+QBO like we did then.

Other than the fact that we had zip for -AO/NAO, this winter to me is actually very reminiscent of 2006-07 in some ways.  This year is turning out snowier in the end, but both this year and 2006-07 were very back-loaded after an awful beginning, especially February.  Both also had extreme cold in February.  This year of course the DJF period as a whole was colder, primarily because Jan. 2007 wasn't exactly cold as I recall until late while this year had more consistent January cold.

Eps look like a 3-5" avg across the area.

Eta: gfs is alone is centering the wave south. In the end my bigger fear is if the sw energy ejects more and this ends up a bit more amped it could shift north like the feb 2-3 storm last year. Best case scenario would be to get the front to clear east then get the more amped solution.

Exactly. Cold doesn't trend south. My guess is the cold has a tough time making it as far as the GFS and Euro show. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the sweet spot or south on this one. And...I think the NAM just showed what you described.

That's what you were saying about this winter back in October. If anything we're due for a -NAO.

I could see a 2006-07 type deal next winter if we go Niño/+QBO like we did then.

There is alot more to it than having a -NAO my friend. My prediction for this year was correct in the snow department, temps were a little off.

Didn't 11-12 have a massive winter -NAO? The overall feel of the winter was bitterly cold and dry, except for the first half. When averaged together it turned out kind of 'meh'. Missing out on the Boston Blizzard sealed the deal.

Other than the fact that we had zip for -AO/NAO, this winter to me is actually very reminiscent of 2006-07 in some ways. This year is turning out snowier in the end, but both this year and 2006-07 were very back-loaded after an awful beginning, especially February. Both also had extreme cold in February. This year of course the DJF period as a whole was colder, primarily because Jan. 2007 wasn't exactly cold as I recall until late while this year had more consistent January cold.

Agreed, evolution was similar in some respects, though this yr was more PNA/EPO driven. Snowpack is also similar this year..pretty much a glacier.

There is alot more to it than having a -NAO my friend. My prediction for this year was correct in the snow department, temps were a little off.

Come on, really? You predicted (in your words) a "mediocre winter", with +temps/-snow.

Didn't 11-12 have a massive winter -NAO? The overall feel of the winter was bitterly cold and dry, except for the first half. When averaged together it turned out kind of 'meh'.

Eh, no? The 2011-12 winter was a door-to-door raging +AO/+NAO/+EPO..

Come on, really? You predicted (in your words) a "mediocre winter", with +temps/-snow.

Eh, no? The 2011-12 winter was a door-to-door raging +AO/+NAO/+EPO..

uh, no? The +EPO overhwhelmed all others signals. Just face it man, we will torch again. Or at least go back to what cold used to be. Not sure if that is possible now tho, seems feast or famine globally.

Called for average snow, everyone got there for the most part. Temps were forecasted in the 0.5-2.0+ range for all months averaged (DJF). It seemed like I was going for a torchy winter because people misinterpreted. I argued that 2013 temps would not be reachable due to warming, this is where I messed up. I failed to see that the EPO was in an unprecedented and unchangeable state and that the Eurasian side would be record warm.

Haven't seen this in a long time? Regime shift?

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

Didn't 11-12 have a massive winter -NAO? The overall feel of the winter was bitterly cold and dry, except for the first half. When averaged together it turned out kind of 'meh'. Missing out on the Boston Blizzard sealed the deal.

2011-12 was a raging torch. Not even close to bitter cold or a -NAO

2011-12 was a raging torch. Not even close to bitter cold

That would be 2014-2015 my friend. December was garbage, agreed? 

Enough with the climate garbage folks. None of it has to do with current snow threats, which is the subject of this thread. Please. 

How else do you break records from 1889? It had a hand in delivering us the weather we got. We are looking back as a retrospective and explaining how this winter stacked up among recent years.

Archived