• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

It's hard to say because there is such a strong shift in a 3 hour period. Using DCA as an example, at 75 hours it is borderline snow, but probably not quite there and 36 degrees, and at 78 hours, it is 29 degrees and ripping. So depends when the changeover happens, and how quickly it gets heavy enough to accumulate.

It's kinda funny that we need to root for heavy rain. The flip would be sick if the gfs is right. Love it.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kinda funny that we need to root for heavy rain. The flip would be sick if the gfs is right. Love it.

The synoptics are different, but the ground truth could be a lot like 1/26/11.  Late afternoon, early evening, on a dime, we go from heavy rain to torrential snow.  Hopefully it comes in early enough to keep Ji on the Toll Road for 10 hours again ;)

we get it.....7PM Wed-1AM Thurs .46" qpf falls at BWI

Bwi would flip before 1am. The caa behind the front is strong. Column can get right pretty quick with the front. I'm digging this event. I'm not expecting huge #s or anything but I could envision 3-6 hours of 1"+/hr rates. Especially the first couple after the flip. It would be a pasting.

The synoptics are different, but the ground truth could be a lot like 1/26/11. Late afternoon, early evening, on a dime, we go from heavy rain to torrential snow. Hopefully it comes in early enough to keep Ji on the Toll Road for 10 hours again ;)

I'd love to see it happen during the day.

Bwi would flip before 1am. The caa behind the front is strong. Column can get right pretty quick with the front. I'm digging this event. I'm not expecting huge #s or anything but I could envision 3-6 hours of 1"+/hr rates. Especially the first couple after the flip. It would be a pasting.

would be a perfect ending to this "last minute" winter we've had

Short range stuff has been doing really well with the recent string of waa into cold antecedent airmasses. Nam/rgem are prob more right than wrong.

we'll need the sleet to maintain the snow pack because an inch of rain at or around 40 degrees in early March can quickly melt even the most glaciated snow packs

Excuse what's probably a dumb question, but is that possible without shifting the heavy precip further se?

Too many details to give a hard and fast answer. The short story is to root for no delay with the front and let the chips fall. Rain to snow with no lull seems inevitable and the earlier snow starts the more we get imo.

lol, well I got my Miller B on the GFS, just too far north

I guess it would be fitting for the winter to close out with one more Boston bomb, though it doesn't quite show that on this run.....later?

actually, it gives BWI almost 2" with a rogue piece of energy (for lack of a better term)

Archived