Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

What happened to the torch?

There was never really a torch being modeled. Just possibly a day 2 before the front that could be warm as the low tracks to the nw.

It trended less amped so return flow isn't that strong. RIC and south might hit the 60's on wed. I havent seen a good warm signal at all through the first week of march. There are some decent hints of warmer temps by the 10th or so. Too far out to think much about.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is kinda meh unless I'm missing something. Surface temps wouldn't cave until after h84 and by then it looks like most of the precip has slid off to the north and east.

That is the scenario you don't want unless you are west of the blue ridge. Yeah, it's similar to the GFS ensembles but I don't think it will play out like this? Flow is just ripping.

and yeah, long range NAM is like playing Russian roulette. 

but what's the weather going to be like in Cape May?

That is the scenario you don't want unless you are west of the blue ridge. Yeah, it's similar to the GFS ensembles but I don't think it will play out like this? Flow is just ripping.

and yeah, long range NAM is like playing Russian roulette. 

but what's the weather going to be like in Cape May?

Boring and damp. What will the weather be like in Piney Orchard? You might have trouble seeing thru the concrete jungle.

Some are legitimately bridge jumping over the NAM, well the winter wasn't that bad. It will snow again before Spring.

There was never really a torch being modeled. Just possibly a day 2 before the front that could be warm as the low tracks to the nw.

It trended less amped so return flow isn't that strong. RIC and south might hit the 60's on wed. I havent seen a good warm signal at all through the first week of march. There are some decent hints of warmer temps by the 10th or so. Too far out to think much about.

Keeping my expectations in check for warmth- except for wishcasting 60 on Wed. Damn. Eh. My red shoes need a tune up.

Not too worried about the NAM at the end of its run. It does show the very real risk that this goes north (or south).

I'm more worried about north then south this time. Euro and gfs have a good solution by ejecting the energy in prices and weak waves riding along the front allowing it to slide east as they traverse. If the energy trends towards one stronger wave as it often does but the front starts in the same spot it could stall it and the snow area would shift north. I'm not going to worry about the 84 hour nam but if the gfs ukmet or euro started to show that then I would get that uh oh feeling.

RGEM has light snow passing through DC / Baltimore around noon on Tuesday, sleet starting around 2, and a changeover to freezing rain during rush hour.  If the end of its run verifies, I hope the road crews around here have saved up some salt.

GFS looks like area wide 4-6" after the changeover?

It's hard to say because there is such a strong shift in a 3 hour period.  Using DCA as an example, at 75 hours it is borderline snow, but probably not quite there and 36 degrees, and at 78 hours, it is 29 degrees and ripping. So depends when the changeover happens, and how quickly it gets heavy enough to accumulate.  

Archived