• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/25 Hump Day Fluffer

Clinch Leatherwood

It's possible nobody sees advisory snows... with the possible exception of Nantucket.

Yeah very possible...esp if it ticks east again before gametime.

But it will probably only take about 0.15" of liquid to achieve advisory. The soundings look excellent for snow growth. So we'll see.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah very possible...esp if it ticks east again before gametime.

But it will probably only take about 0.15" of liquid to achieve advisory. The soundings look excellent for snow growth. So we'll see.

Seal farts have produced good snows in Eastern Mass over the past month, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find someone getting 5-6" of fluff.

Someone along and east of a LWM-PVD line could see a surprise in this...it's not a long event, but for a few hours, the soundings are really favorable and there's a nice area of convergence. So if someone pounds for a couple hours in an enhanced band, you could see some lollis higher than the general 1-3/2-4.

Again, this is assuming this doesn't wobble back east 25-40 miles. But status quo suggests to watch closely tomorrow night.

Our forecast soundings heading Down East (RKD) look great. A little MAULish early Wednesday at times.

I suspect eastern MA looks similar.

NAM BUFKIT continues to suggest ~22:1 ratios and it's been very accurate this winter in our colder events as far as ratios go(And looking at soundings that number is backed up I think). 22:1 is probably a bit too bullish to use in a forecast, but say you use 18:1 and take a blend of the 12z guidance that we've seen so far(NAM, RGEM, GFS), that essentially argues for advisory totals just SE of the BOS-PVD line and SE from there with 1-3" back to that corridor and just west. Should push BOS over the 100" mark and set us up for a position where one more moderate event dethrones 95-96, and I have a pretty hard time imagining that we don't see at least one more moderate event before the winter is out given what I'm seeing on guidance.

Can anyone show me an event in the 2014-2015 winter where the SREF guidance was legitimately useful in indicating something with greater skill than another model -- any other model -- in general?

I ask this sincerely; I have trouble understanding why they're being tugged into the mix at all when I would just as soon mention the JMA or DGEX and yet it seems like the SREFs are now and again being tossed up as harbingers of subtle trends.

Sometimes I think even the NAM gets more credence than it should mostly because it runs four times a day, three runs of which are at times that coincide well with people being awake. The SREF's seem like a more garbage-y brand of garbage in the same garbage barge, or "garbarge" if you will.

Short term ensembles are still inherently a nice idea (this is provided the data are good in the first place of course).

As for the NAM it also helps that it is the highest resolution of modeling that the NWS can use. So when you are trying to resolve small scale feature, oftentimes you only have the NAM as an option. For better or for worse.

Our forecast soundings heading Down East (RKD) look great. A little MAULish early Wednesday at times.

I suspect eastern MA looks similar.

Yeah especially the 06z NAM run...it actually had TTs in BOS in the mid to upper 40s.

12z run dries it out a bit above 700mb given that it ticked east, so not quite as impressive. But someone in that deeper layer of moisture (up through like 500-600mb) could get a pretty nasty S+ burst for a time.

NAM BUFKIT continues to suggest ~22:1 ratios and it's been very accurate this winter in our colder events as far as ratios go(And looking at soundings that number is backed up I think). 22:1 is probably a bit too bullish to use in a forecast, but say you use 18:1 and take a blend of the 12z guidance that we've seen so far(NAM, RGEM, GFS), that essentially argues for advisory totals just SE of the BOS-PVD line and SE from there with 1-3" back to that corridor and just west. Should push BOS over the 100" mark and set us up for a position where one more moderate event dethrones 95-96, and I have a pretty hard time imagining that we don't see at least one more moderate event before the winter is out given what I'm seeing on guidance.

Yea, Boston is a cinch to get it. 

It will be a struggle for me to get the 21" that I need.

Yeah especially the 06z NAM run...it actually had TTs in BOS in the mid to upper 40s.

12z run dries it out a bit above 700mb given that it ticked east, so not quite as impressive. But someone in that deeper layer of moisture (up through like 500-600mb) could get a pretty nasty S+ burst for a time.

Yeah, 12z run had only a 3 hour period of DGZ saturation for BOS before it's all gone.

Forecast probably argues for a one zone or one county warning for us near Penobscot Bay, but I'm not sure we'll pull the trigger on that.

About as dissapointing as the other fraud inverted trough. 

Stop falling for them, and they won't dissapoint.

Never expect anything from them, and enjoy whatever you get.

when box paints me 3-4" and trends move west for 4 runs in a row I think every single person bought them, not "disappointed" where it effects me in life lol, but how could you not buy them , the meteorology was solid. I mean from here it looks like you just lucked out with your early call now if this trends east unless If your call was no big deal whether you got a dusting or 2" then yes I can see this wasn't gonna be giving you 6" .

Archived