joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/25 Hump Day Fluffer

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

09Z srefs push 0.25 line west another 25 miles or so.

Can anyone show me an event in the 2014-2015 winter where the SREF guidance was legitimately useful in indicating something with greater skill than another model -- any other model -- in general?

I ask this sincerely; I have trouble understanding why they're being tugged into the mix at all when I would just as soon mention the JMA or DGEX and yet it seems like the SREFs are now and again being tossed up as harbingers of subtle trends.

Sometimes I think even the NAM gets more credence than it should mostly because it runs four times a day, three runs of which are at times that coincide well with people being awake. The SREF's seem like a more garbage-y brand of garbage in the same garbage barge, or "garbarge" if you will.

Can anyone show me an event in the 2014-2015 winter where the SREF guidance was legitimately useful in indicating something with greater skill than another model -- any other model -- in general?

I ask this sincerely; I have trouble understanding why they're being tugged into the mix at all when I would just as soon mention the JMA or DGEX and yet it seems like the SREFs are now and again being tossed up as harbingers of subtle trends.

Sometimes I think even the NAM gets more credence than it should mostly because it runs four times a day, three runs of which are at times that coincide well with people being awake. The SREF's seem like a more garbage-y brand of garbage in the same garbage barge, or "garbarge" if you will.

I really just use it to compare to other guidance.  Right now it looks like it's in line with everything else.  All systems go!

This little tick towards the Euro would follow the playbook of these systems as mentioned earlier.  Euro is slow to move west but doesn't seem to end up overshooting.  NCEP goes bonkers, only to back down.  NCEP ends up 40% too high of heaviest runs, Euro maybe 10-15% too low of wettest. 

1-3 or 2-4 down here seems fine.

This little tick towards the Euro would follow the playbook of these systems as mentioned earlier.  Euro is slow to move west but doesn't seem to end up overshooting.  NCEP goes bonkers, only to back down.  NCEP ends up 40% too high of heaviest runs, Euro maybe 10-15% too low of wettest. 

That's as high as I would go personally.

Yes. 

Yeah the east tick looks real...RGEM ticked east too.

That would probably limit any shot of warning snowfalls getting into the conversation. But the advisory area by BOX right now looks pretty good for 2-4". There will probably be a higher lolli somewhere in SE MA and the western edge of the advisory may have some 1" amounts.

There's about a 3-4 hour window there.

That would probably limit any shot of warning snowfalls getting into the conversation. But the advisory area by BOX right now looks pretty good for 2-4". There will probably be a higher lolli somewhere in SE MA and the western edge of the advisory may have some 1" amounts.

Yes

Might have to watch for a surprise meso low on that invertered trough. Those things sometimes happen and the NW side of those lows just blow up in a narrow area.

I think there will be one that eventually becomes the dominant low. Will have to see where it forms.

This is a typical system so far from a modeling standpoint. Funny on these marginal ones it always plays out the same way.

So nothing back for CT or Central Ma?

So nothing back for CT or Central Ma?

Coating to an inch I'd go right now as there is a brief period of weak lift and deeper RH...far E CT near Ginxy down to GON could get in on a bit better stuff.

But these things are fickle...there will be some nowcasting for sure. But I think it's a pretty low probability that advisory stuff gets west of about a LWM to WST line. Even BOS to PVD is sort of on the fence.

Archived