joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm not taking any class this semester and I'm home, I do hope you guys up at Millersville cash in with at least 6". Many of my friends are itching for a big one and have been really frustrated all winter.

Yeah. At this point I'll take 5". I've already seen close to 10" on the last event while I was home. We've been close but no cigar this winter.

DC maybe, but southern PA no. We are average at best right now at Millersville. This should put us just above average for the year which I'll gladly take. Winter was brutal starting off. Baltimore is doing better than southern PA

I was going to post the same thing.

we are slightly starved down here in the LSV.

I will add that I do like the current fetch of the moisture coming out of N Texas and Okie land.

That looks like if it holds together, thats our "stuff".

Nut

Even UKMET is wet somewhat similar to the Euro... which I feel I can trust the combo of the two more than the GFS... just continues the big question of when does the cold air make its move

PA_000-072_0000.gif

When the UKMET and EURO are going consistent, it's hard to bet against them.  Still, the GFS could score a coup.  

I really like the Sterling snow graphics page. Wish State College would do that.

http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter

Sterling's snow graphics are part of a national pilot program that will eventually be used by all other weather offices.  I believe Sterling, New Orleans, (Mt. Holly?) and Nashville are the pilot offices right now.

Interesting to note, even though the 18z NAM came back north, it initialized with a 1036 high in western N Dakota....SPC obs have a 1032 high in the same location/time. Pressure differences exist all the way down toward the baroclinic zone.

18z NAM at 19z:

post-5336-0-27304200-1425500906_thumb.pn

19z suface obs: 

post-5336-0-04350300-1425500929_thumb.pn

This may have implications down the road...keep an eye on it.

Interesting to note, even though the 18z NAM came back north, it initialized with a 1036 high in western N Dakota....SPC obs have a 1032 high in the same location/time. Pressure differences exist all the way down toward the baroclinic zone.

18z NAM at 19z:

19z suface obs: 

So, weaker Hi = Less squeeze to the south?

18z NAM at 19z:

attachicon.gifNAM.PNG

19z suface obs:

attachicon.gifobs.PNG

What possible implications might this cause & why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18z NAM at 19z:

attachicon.gifNAM.PNG

19z suface obs: 

attachicon.gifobs.PNG

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Even if it only means a slight northward expansion of the precipitation given the tight gradient it would make a difference for someone on the fringe.

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. Even if it only means a slight northward expansion of the precipitation given the tight gradient it would make a difference for someone on the fringe.

Exactly. Now - it may all come out in the wash, but the GFS had a 1038 high there around this time while the foreign (northern-most) guidance had it closer to reality.

Has anyone heard from Voyager? It's been a while since I've seen him post and that's unusual for him. Has this storm caused him to give up completely this winter (I say that in jest!).

Posted last night : To bed @ 7:00 for a 3:00am start.

If there was a little north movement...

post-2236-0-14434500-1425503541_thumb.jp

Exactly. Now - it may all come out in the wash, but the GFS had a 1038 high there around this time while the foreign (northern-most) guidance had it closer to reality.

Hmm that's an interesting ob, we'll have to see what happens. HRRR and RAP actually are looking pretty good overall in terms of general precip extent into PA but there's some more local issues to resolve (I-99 sucker hole) and perhaps wasting some QPF on differing p-types in the LSV.

Scrutinized a bit with models vs mesoanalysis, I do notice that 925mb temps are running notably warmer in the LSV and northern Mid-Atlantic. 12z NAM hour 9 was way too cold at that level where DC for instance was around +7C and the mesoanalysis has +11 poking up right now at 21z. Looks like the 18z NAM initialized that better, which might've attributed to it bumping north a little bit. Just finally starting to mix over to snow here in the last hour, which after watching things overnight.. I would've never thought it would've took that long. I wonder about how much ends up getting wasted further southeast. Tough forecast and high bust potential. 

19z RAP

post-1507-0-61699400-1425505143_thumb.pn

18z HRRR

post-1507-0-98076900-1425505163_thumb.pn

Hmm that's an interesting ob, we'll have to see what happens. HRRR and RAP actually are looking pretty good overall in terms of general precip extent into PA but there's some more local issues to resolve (I-99 sucker hole) and perhaps wasting some QPF on differing p-types in the LSV.

Scrutinized a bit with models vs mesoanalysis, I do notice that 925mb temps are running notably warmer in the LSV and northern Mid-Atlantic. 12z NAM hour 9 was way too cold at that level where DC for instance was around +7C and the mesoanalysis has +11 poking up right now at 21z. Looks like the 18z NAM initialized that better, which might've attributed to it bumping north a little bit. Just finally starting to mix over to snow here in the last hour, which after watching things overnight.. I would've never thought it would've took that long. I wonder about how much ends up getting wasted further southeast. Tough forecast and high bust potential.

19z RAP

acsnw_t3sfc_f18.png

18z HRRR

acsnw_t3sfc_f15.png

The 18z GFS seems to have initialized that surface ridge better. Also, low running along the front is just a touch stronger. Result is a MUCH farther north QPF field.

Archived