Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a little  empirical evidence eh?

Basically haha, I could barely walk on my driveway to get down to the road. That's pretty much what 0.5-1" of sleet turned into from a whole evening of freezing rain. Actual ice accrual on stuff appears to be near the warning threshold of 0.25".. hard to tell with that earlier sleet on most surfaces. Ice build-up on trees is pretty noteworthy but not to the point of breaking a lot of stuff. It's still hanging right around 32ºF.. and still raining.

Been listening to the scanner, they've had Sugar Run Road that comes up the mountain from Altoona to Gallitzen shut down for being impassible due to the ice on the road.

I've been on that road many times...not surprised it's closed given how hilly and curvy the road is. Not to mention also narrow. Someone could easily be killed on that road in bad weather.

Quick take on the Euro.. it isn't the GFS lol. 

Southern tier below the turnpike is hammered pretty good and moderate in between the turnpike and 80 and sneaking up 81 towards AVP a bit. Hours 30 and 42 frames of 0.25-0.5" below the turnpike with a 0.1-0.25" hour 36.

Quick take on the Euro.. it isn't the GFS lol.

Southern tier below the turnpike is hammered pretty good and moderate in between the turnpike and 80 and sneaking up 81 towards AVP a bit. Hours 30 and 42 frames of 0.25-0.5" below the turnpike with a 0.1-0.25" hour 36.

Here MAG before I go to sleep. Heres a little visual aid.

AhzS6Xz.png

Here MAG before I go to sleep. Heres a little visual aid.

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see what happens in the Pittsburgh area/SW PA towards daybreak as it looks like there will be a renewed surge of precip overnight as well as the HRRR and RAP advertising things beginning to change over by or a bit before daybreak. Looking at mesoanalysis the 850 0ºC line is quickly moving back southeast (0 line halfway through Butler County as of 6z). 925 0 line is lagging a bit but the column is already cooling in western PA as are surface temps. 

Per looking at the 511 cams I can confirm that it has already changed over to snow in parts of Cambria (along Route 22) and Clearfield Counties (I-80 west of Clearfield). This is gonna be an interesting morning with all the precip in western PA. 

Per looking at the 511 cams I can confirm that it has already changed over to snow in parts of Cambria (along Route 22) and Clearfield Counties (I-80 west of Clearfield). This is gonna be an interesting morning with all the precip in western PA. 

Its currently snowing south of Pgh and its starting to stick on pavement.

Regarding snow for Harrisburg:

WSW for 4-8" by CTP

WHTM (ABC 27) calling for coating-3"

WGAL (NBC 8) calling for 4-7"

WHP (CBS 21) calling for 3-5"

C - 3"? Gutsy call. That moisture plume looks pretty impressive at the moment.

With the tricky nature of the forecast and the low temperatures right now, I wonder if we're looking at a horrible bust for this next one.

If we get the 4-8 variety that CTP has warned us about: Awesome, now shut it down!

If not, you're at a full count, bottom ninth with 2 outs and nobody on...

WGAL's call is good and 10" is probably the max we see. Unless someone really flips fast before dawn and gets deathbanded.

I like WGAL's map. They have been very good this year and are always level headed. Last I checked, Eric Horst is going with 4-8 south of the pike which to me is spot on with the latest guidance. I think the most fun and games will be near the MD line where the better 700mb VV's will be close by. I never discount a weenie band along the MD line in this type of setup (or any for that matter) ;)

I like WGAL's map. They have been very good this year and are always level headed. Last I checked, Eric Horst is going with 4-8 south of the pike which to me is spot on with the latest guidance. I think the most fun and games will be near the MD line where the better 700mb VV's will be close by. I never discount a weenie band along the MD line in this type of setup (or any for that matter) ;)

keep talking dirty to me ;)

I like that ! Golf course in Fairfield should be in a sweet spot. It's less than 10 miles from the M/D line. I might not see grass there till April.

and i just spit my coffee out laughing............

you're in a good spot.................AGAIN

surprisingly, I haven't done all that well this year. the 2/21 storm I did pretty well (7.5") everything else has been less than 3 inch events for me. I'm just over 7" shy of climo. 

Archived