Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold 2/19-2/20

Windman18

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record Temperature at Norfolk:...

9°. Broke the daily record of 13° set in 1896. The 9° reading is the latest single-digit reading on record for Norfolk. The previous latest such reading occurred on February 14 in 1899. Records go back to 1874.

Now that is impressive.  DC has a chance for its lowest maximum temperature ever this late in the season, if the NWS forecast high of 15 degrees at DCA were to verify.  The current record holder in this regard is 16 degrees, which was reached on February 24, 1914 at the old 24th and M Street location. 

Now that is impressive.  DC has a chance for its lowest maximum temperature ever this late in the season, if the NWS forecast high of 15 degrees at DCA were to verify.  The current record holder in this regard is 16 degrees, which was reached on February 24, 1914 at the old 24th and M Street location. 

As I just posted on the Capital Weather Gang thread "120-year-old record low broken in D.C., one of many today and in the past week":  "DCA just hit 18 degrees, so no record there. However, it just dawned on me that IAD's maximum of 15 degrees yesterday (February 19th) broke its record for lowest maximum this late in the season. The previous record was March 1st (1980), at 18 degrees. Currently, it is 13 at IAD, but the forecast high is 17, so yesterday's record will probably stand for a while."

0 for the low .Was 3 at 11pm. Really surprised only dropped 3 degrees in 7 hours. Winds were gusting to 25 all night. I'm sure that didn't help the cooling. Lows in Kentucky were freaking incredible.

850s peaked late night then rose a bit. Probably part of the reason it wasn't a tumble all night. 

Imagine we'll get some good big drops early tonight though clouds may come in too soon to get near/below morning readings. 

Thanks for posting these ice maps they're interesting to look at. I was comparing it with the 2/18 map and noticed on that one the 70-90% area was on the east side of the bay near Talbot and Dorchester and the 90-99% was on the west side along Calvert. It appears those two areas flipped on 2/20. What would cause that, just minor variations?

Thanks for posting these ice maps they're interesting to look at. I was comparing it with the 2/18 map and noticed on that one the 70-90% area was on the east side of the bay near Talbot and Dorchester and the 90-99% was on the west side along Calvert. It appears those two areas flipped on 2/20. What would cause that, just minor variations?

I'm guessing the winds from yesterday.

TANGIER ISLAND, Va. (WNEW/AP) — The Virginia National Guard flew in food, medicine and mail to ice-bound Tangier Island, and the mayor said a Coast Guard cutter was on its way Friday to open a passage to this tiny fishing and tourism outpost in the middle of Chesapeake Bay.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015/02/20/guard-delivers-provisions-to-ice-bound-chesapeake-bay-island/ 

Archived