• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/21-2/23 Weekend Possible Storm

Zelocita Weather

I think he meant in terms of using the October snow index in term of predicting the AO for the winter.  

In terms of the winter, def not bad considering the start!  Many places N&E of NYC were above average with the blizzard getting eastern areas and nice front end dumps from SWFEs for northern areas (and western).  Southern areas caught up in the past week.  NYC proper is also around average.  I'll take it!

If the correlation was to the AO then ok. I thought he was referring to the winter at first glance.

Ita been a cold winter with normal snowfall with several near misses

That is just part for the course here.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter will just about be the end of using the October snowcover index to predict the AO for the winter. What a fail this year. 

That the SAI performed very badly this winter and not very well last winter, too, indicates that the correlation between the rate of increase in October Eurasian snow cover and the winter AO is probably weaker than had first been thought. We'll need more winters to be sure, but the recent outcomes are not encouraging. Perhaps the events that lead to rapid advances in such snow cover are more top-down than bottom-up? In other words, those events have more influence on the snow cover change than the snow cover change has on the atmospheric state (AO)?

There's no high of any kind locking cold air in before the storm cuts for the Lakes, in fact there's a high over the Atlantic helping the WAA. There shouldn't be much front end snow at all. I'd be very worried if I was in SNE and had 2-3+ feet of snow to clear off my house, or lived in a flood zone since this should torch big time and drop up to 2" of rain.

No cold high locked in to the north, no 50/50 low, no -nao, no -ao, strong western Atlantic ridge, high moves east out into the Atlantic and we see return flow. Worst setup possible for a snowstorm for us

No cold high locked in to the north, no 50/50 low, no -nao, no -ao, strong western Atlantic ridge, high moves east out into the Atlantic and we see return flow. Worst setup possible for a snowstorm for us

We will not avoid the rain with this one . The question is how much snow falls on the front end .  There looks to be a decent amount of precip in the warm sector and that spells trouble for SNE

We will not avoid the rain with this one . The question is how much snow falls on the front end .  There looks to be a decent amount of precip in the warm sector and that spells trouble for SNE

All depends on the ultimate track of the low-6z GFS was further south and east keeping the warm section further south and east as well.  Hopefully it moves fast, and we see a thump of snow ice followed by a dry slot.

The gfs despite the upgrade is still the same as always.

It has really sucked with the last few storms, it completely blew the system several days ago for Boston and was horrible here the other night, most models were but the GFS was exceptionally far south and east compared to most.  The UKMET and Euro are the only 2 models beyond 72 I would put any trust in right now. 

It has really sucked with the last few storms, it completely blew the system several days ago for Boston and was horrible here the other night, most models were but the GFS was exceptionally far south and east compared to most. The UKMET and Euro are the only 2 models beyond 72 I would put any trust in right now.

What did they show on the 0z runs last night? Didn't see any recap of PBP on the thread here, thus I assume they weren't good for the snow lovers.

This winter will just about be the end of using the October snowcover index to predict the AO for the winter. What a fail this year. 

The good news is that the Pacific side blocking in the EPO and PNA regions was strong enough to provide 

plenty of cold air for NYC to get to normal snowfall on the season with the most recent snow. The back-loaded

weak El Nino/+PDO cold and snow idea for this winter worked out very well. The lack of a -AO will be more remembered in the

MA region .

Current NYC snowfall.......24.4"..........seasonal average......25.1"

All depends on the ultimate track of the low-6z GFS was further south and east keeping the warm section further south and east as well. Hopefully it moves fast, and we see a thump of snow ice followed by a dry slot.

It also depends on whether the energy remains consolidated or not. If the low can consolidate and the s/w can amp itself up, then all signs point to a cutter. We (sne especially) want a more sheared out mess which will allow the s/w to remain progressive within the screaming flow.

With respect to the AO, with 10 days to go in meteorological winter:

- Days > 0: 71%

- Days +1 or above: 36%

- Days +2 or above: 13%

- Days < 0: 29%

- Days -1 or below: 9%

- Days -2 or below: 0%

Highest: +3.096

Lowest: -1.622

Average: +0.610

If every remaining day was negative (and the ensembles suggest a positive outcome for all the remaining days of meteorological winter is more likely), 63% of days would still have wound up as positive.

The good news is that the Pacific side blocking in the EPO and PNA regions was strong enough to provide

plenty of cold air for NYC to get to normal snowfall on the season with the most recent snow. The back-loaded

weak El Nino/+PDO cold and snow idea for this winter worked out very well. The lack of a -AO will be more remembered in the

MA region .

Current NYC snowfall.......24.4"..........seasonal average......25.1"

Bluewave, the -EPO/-WPO the last 2 seasons has been very impressive. I think what hurt the MA more this winter was the lack of any -NAO. Not having a -NAO allows SE ridging and just kills them, not having any semblance of a -AO either is another factor

Nothing is set in stone with the way the models have performed.

We call this wishcasting...

No model shows more than a few inches on a front end dump and then all models and ensembles show some type of cutter. At three days out, this is pretty much set in stone given the fantastic agreement amongst the OP's and strong ensemble support.

1/16/94 had alot of ice if I recall correctly. Locally, it featured a brutal flash freeze after-puddles running down the side of the road literally froze in an instant-you could see the ripples where the water had flowed just froze solid.

Yes, it was a real mess up here.  Many municipalities ran out of road salt after that one due to that flash freeze.   

Even the 06z GFS which people were saying was a less amped up solution still had a lot of rain for the area and very little snow. Cutters gonna cut, just have to accept it. The Euro ensembles were all cutters.

It may be a cutter but there's a huge difference between a sheared and consolidated solution especially for SNE. If the 0z gfs verifies we are talking a massive disaster for that area while they would avoid such a scenario on the 06z gfs. 

Also it's not a lock yet so it's too early to go into absolutes. We've seen models shift hundreds of miles in under 2 days so it'll take a couple more days before a final solution can exist. 

I was looking at some of the NWS hydro products yesterday. The snowpack over Western Passaic County contains an average estimated 2.8" LE. I'm not so sure why people are only focusing on Boston. We would have plenty of our own hydro issues. Especially considering that the ground is completely frozen and so is the snowpack. Most if not everything that falls will run off.

I know the futility of looking at the NAM at over 48 hours, but at 84 hours it's very far south in terms of low placement. As depicted, it does not look like a cutter. I know...it's the NAM.

Do you see how far West the southeast ridge is here?

This has no choice but to ride the mid-level flow.

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

Yup...that is huge. That map would indicate a cutter is in the offing.

Being that a deviation of 100 miles for the storm track would change things substantialy for us I'm going to reserve judgement until later this week. Models have vasilated too much this year inside of 96 hours not to. Its also a bit of wishcasting.

Archived