joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Mid-Winter 14/15

PennMan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When looking at radar returns just keep in mind that both PBZ and CCX are still operating in clear air mode so returns being more sensitive can make it look like it should be snowing harder at your location or something else opposite of reality such as a dry slot that may not actually exist. LWX is in precip mode so returns may look heavier than what it looks for PA. I guess what I am really trying to say is don't freak out yet if radar is looking less than idea over your area.

When looking at radar returns just keep in mind that both PBZ and CCX are still operating in clear air mode so returns being more sensitive can make it look like it should be snowing harder at your location or something else opposite of reality such as a dry slot that may not actually exist. LWX is in precip mode so returns may look heavier than what it looks for PA. I guess what I am really trying to say is don't freak out yet if radar is looking less than idea over your area.

Thanks for that info. Am wondering... what determines when radar switches out of clear air mode? Thanks.

Clear air mode uses a greater number of pulses per radar gate which increases the statistical sampling of hydrometeors. That means that objects with small radar backscatter are more easily detected. However, it does not mean that larger hydrometeors (such as snow aggregates) appear to have higher reflectivity in clear air mode than in precip mode; they should still be the same.The coverage of echos may appear more widespread due to the 0 dBz and lower reflectivity being more easily detected.

Both the HRRR/RAP (shown below) have an area of enhancement along the M-D Line. Radar trends seem to support this a bit. I could be wrong...

Capture.PNG

Lol! Let's wrap that red bullseye up and put it under the tree right now. Hope it verifies as my back yard has been fringed all season. First time we have been modeled to be in the bullseye all season especially game time. I hope we all get crushed for a change! Good luck to everyone with this nice surprise event.

Archived