Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to start a thread for our 1984 like storm were getting in march

A bit off topic, but the end of February into mid-March was incredible in northeast Ohio (Cleveland area).  I was in high school at the time there.  After a very warm February (1984) for the first 3 weeks of the month, it quickly got very cold, then we got hammered with a great storm (~16") from Feb. 27-29 (the "Leap Day Storm" as some called it), then a clipper on March 8 dumped 8" on us along with record cold.  It was great!

March is the new January

Will be interesting to see if we can close Feb with respectable totals at DCA. I'd say 10-12" on the season at the end of Feb would be a victory considering how tough it's been to get things to break right. 

I can't pull yesterdays graph but 12z is much improved for next week's event

post-2035-0-27702800-1423696970_thumb.jp

D10-15 remains active for chances at least. About 8" for mean snowfall over the 15 day period. Highest it's been for a while. 

post-2035-0-26537400-1423697044_thumb.jp

Maybe a bit off topic but since we are analyzing temperatures for different areas and times during next weeks storm, I was wondering if someone could shed a little light on reading soundings. Specifically the rate of precipitation. I am looking at text output and the relative humidity specifically. First, is this what we look at to determine precipitation rates and second, where do the lines between high, moderate and heavy get drawn? Is it the relative humidity through x number of layers in the atmosphere or does just the surface (and near surface) matter? What percentages determine light, moderate and heavy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

the split vortex HM tweeted about finally happening

Maybe we'll get something plowable before the forsythias start blooming.

Could someone please explain what we're supposed to be looking at here?  Is it that the trough has shifted west?

Maybe a bit off topic but since we are analyzing temperatures for different areas and times during next weeks storm, I was wondering if someone could shed a little light on reading soundings. Specifically the rate of precipitation. I am looking at text output and the relative humidity specifically. First, is this what we look at to determine precipitation rates and second, where do the lines between high, moderate and heavy get drawn? Is it the relative humidity through x number of layers in the atmosphere or does just the surface (and near surface) matter? What percentages determine light, moderate and heavy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm not the best person to answer this, but generally the best way to eyeball precipitation rates is the distance between the temperature and dew point lines at certain layers. The shorter the difference between the two lines, the heavier the precip.

Could someone please explain what we're supposed to be looking at here?  Is it that the trough has shifted west?

Yes, and broader. We will never do well with NS storms dropping down from MN/MI and the "uphill" side of the trough being off the coast means no chance to have something turn the corner and come up to us. Just not enough real estate.

With a more broad trough and axis further west than it is now opens the door for southern systems to come up and also northern systems to go underneath. 

ETA: the fact that we actually may get a little precip on Saturday is impressive. It's a terrible track but the vort is so amped and enough cold is in place that we score a little fringe before the front. Usually we get zip or rain showers with that track. 

IMO, it's both that its further west, a good thing, and its is less progressive on the east side, something might actually turn up the coast. That's just a guess.

Yes, and broader. We will never do well with NS storms dropping down from MN/MI and the "uphill" side of the trough being off the coast means no chance to have something turn the corner and come up to us. Just not enough real estate.

With a more broad trough and axis further west than it is now opens the door for southern systems to come up and also northern systems to go underneath. 

ETA: the fact that we actually may get a little precip on Saturday is impressive. It's a terrible track but the vort is so amped and enough cold is in place that we score a little fringe before the front. Usually we get zip or rain showers with that track. 

Thanks!

Archived