Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an 11 day ensemble mean and pulls the 10 closest matches to similar height patterns within a reasonable timeframe. I'm not sure the forward and back date parameters but they are always within 2-3 weeks before and after the target date. 

Top left is correlation. In this case, .946 which is pretty high. 

Basic follow-up question if I may.  I probably don't look as much at these charts as I should, so I'm not as familiar other than when I see them in here.  Anyhow...about the correlation:  is that the correlation between the (forecast mean) height pattern and all the historical dates taken together, or with the top analogue date, or is it something else?

HP to our NW doesn't help at all?

ETA:  0c 850 line just west of I-95 at 168... 1002 SLP in S NC

Geez...one would think a 1002 low in NC would be pretty good, yet the 850 line pushes (just) west of the area!  Well, I suppose that's somewhat better than the GFS, and from what I saw earlier, better than last night's 00Z Euro.  As for the H to the NW, I'm not seeing the Euro right now but going by what the GFS had, that high pushed more in behind the system rather than over-top (or something like that).  Similar to what happened Feb. 1-2 in some ways.

it is still a better look overall maybe.. tho the end result is about the same.

The euro a better look than the GFS,   would be a mess for the western folks even after the changeover since it would stay below freezing for an extended period.  For me, an inch or two, the one good thing for getting some snow accumulation even with a temp that might edge above freezing is that he ground temps will still be frigid. 

it's a markedly better run than the GFS but still 6 days away so doesnt really matter...

No, details definitely are not as much an issue right now.  I was just curious whether it's a cold washout, which the 00Z and 12Z GFS had (06Z to a lesser extent with lighter QPF).  Sounds like the Euro is at least better than that...and an improvement on last night's Euro too.

Archived