joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS 312-384 our only hope, until 00z.

I like the general look on the GFS and Euro ens for 14-18th period. Yeah verbatim the western ridge/eastern trough axis is a bit too far east but plenty of time to pull that back west some. Defo some potential and something to keep an eye on.

Euro has chance for storm day 11 per ensembles

GFS, GEFS, and Canadian ensembles have been indicating the potential for something big around Feb. 18 for the last several runs. A lot of rainy members, but something to keep an eye on.

Canadian ensembles say otherwise

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/tenday_e.html

I know you know this Mitch but with the height patterns being advertised, the +1 air in central canada being delivered straight s-se is still below normal for us. The pattern looks aob on the averages for 2 weeks. Probably longer.

I don't even care about frigid or much below. Give me an airmass originating from northern or central canada and any low pressure that doesn't end up in PIT and we end up on the winning side. Any lp that passes nw gives us a warm day or two like this weekend. But long duration above normal looks pretty unlikely for a while.

There's a brief 4-6 day reprieve in most guidance, but everything turns cold again after February 15th. The 10 day GGEMS ens mean will be skewed by that.

the 18Z GFS has "alleged" very cold air (-20C 850's) starting at 150 hours, so well w/in the Canadian 240 hr. forecast period reflected on the ensembles link so it does disagree with the GFS

anyway, to assume "all the guidance" will be right with the intensity of the cold in 10+ days (after 2/15) is more than a little risky considering the advertised cold has not been as intense or as long lasting as advertised this winter

call me hard headed, but I'll believe the days on end below freezing as has been advertised several times this year for us when it finally happens, since it hasn't happened yet

I know you know this Mitch but with the height patterns being advertised, the +1 air in central canada being delivered straight s-se is still below normal for us. The pattern looks aob on the averages for 2 weeks. Probably longer.

I don't even care about frigid or much below. Give me an airmass originating from northern or central canada and any low pressure that doesn't end up in PIT and we end up on the winning side. Any lp that passes nw gives us a warm day or two like this weekend. But long duration above normal looks pretty unlikely for a while.

Bob, the anomaly forecast lines don't quite make it to our back yards, but if you extend those lines (as I often do with success on this forecast), we're on the cusp of +/- normal temps so there's no need to look at the height patterns

I just find these Canadian temp ensembles a much more accurate forecast than the other models, whether they are advertising below or above normal, which is why I often link them

Bob, the anomaly forecast lines don't quite make it to our back yards, but if you extend those lines (as I often do with success on this forecast), we're on the cusp of +/- normal temps so there's no need to look at the height patterns

I just find these Canadian temp ensembles a much more accurate forecast than the other models, whether they are advertising below or above normal, which is why I often link them

Yeah, I think they do tend be pretty useful and they  perform well or at least as well as some of the other major models, however in this case most other data for the extended are against any warming for the foreseeable future. If I'm reading the map correctly that you posted it's the 10 day period starting on the 6th. The real cold is not suppose to arrive until Thursday the 12th, so it must be seeing the warmth in the first 6 days of the period. GFS and Euro are both locked in on very cold entering the region on the 12th and lasting at least a week. I guess since the cold has been very overdone 5-7 days out things may end up closer to average when the period is over . We'll see what verifies, but for those looking for an above normal period  anytime before the 20th probably will be disappointed.

Canadian ensembles have below average temps for DC from the 12th to the 22nd, but they are not as cold as the GEFS.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=us&pkg=T2ma5d&runtime=2015020612&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=215

that's days 6-10 only

days 1-5 are a little above normal, hence the map I posted shows only slightly below

You may have already seen it but Isotherm made a  good post in the main form about where the pattern may be going from mid month on.

the 18Z GFS has "alleged" very cold air (-20C 850's) starting at 150 hours, so well w/in the Canadian 240 hr. forecast period reflected on the ensembles link so it does disagree with the GFS

anyway, to assume "all the guidance" will be right with the intensity of the cold in 10+ days (after 2/15) is more than a little risky considering the advertised cold has not been as intense or as long lasting as advertised this winter

call me hard headed, but I'll believe the days on end below freezing as has been advertised several times this year for us when it finally happens, since it hasn't happened yet

Completely correct. I think we have had at least 4 depictions of highs in low 20's, low -5 to +5 and we have not even come close, off by 10-15 degrees.

It just happened back in early January..850s were around -25C.

KOKV had one day (8th) with a high of 25F, coldest day of the year.  The day prior was 28F and the low was 9F (coldest of the year).   That's pretty generic, transient cold.  Of course, 3 days before that we had a +24F (4th)  Seems like the modeled cold has mostly been over-done all season.

you'll get a lot of fans out of that scenario around here    lol

Honestly Mitch, if that insane PNA being forecasted is real, I think there would be a small % we'd see that epic shortwave that the GFS is showing drop farther S...Something to track at least if it is real, I'm staying up for the EURO personally. 

Lb2iQ6K.jpg

Honestly Mitch, if that insane PNA being forecasted is real, I think there would be a small % we'd see that epic shortwave that the GFS is showing drop farther S...Something to track at least if it is real, I'm staying up for the EURO personally. 

Lb2iQ6K.jpg

for you, absolutely....for us, I'd be happy with the .17" qpf the GFS drops and take my 2" and run until the "monster" comes out of the SW to play a week later, more or less

Archived