joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO- this +pna pattern is here to stay. It's going to flex and relax and not be static where we are on the back side of the trough for days on end.

The big hp next week is going to happen in some fashion and will likely squish things for a time. Our best chance at a big storm is something gliding under the ridge and teaming up with a ns shortwave. Otherwise, we can get clipped or just get lucky with a big ns dig. There are ways to do it. All we can do is hope something breaks our way.

The +pna ridge could last for a month on the means. If we can't get a single accum event I'd be kinda surprised.

I just posted in the NYC forum that I think eventually there is a Miller A this winter that makes everyone from DCA to BOS happy, it may be in March but I think it'll happen

Exhibit A (sorry, but it was there so I thought I'd link to it regardless of the lead time)

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=384ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F18%2Fgfs_namer_384_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150205+18+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Good thing is ensembles keep heights below normal after day 7 and possibly try to split the flow over the west coast near the end.  If it doesn't show we're screwed.  , I think  the vortex in eastern Canada will own the pattern from day 8-12, maybe a clipper at best.

the way the GFS looks at 105 hrs., it's almost as if heights have been lowered enough down our way so that we might be close on the trailing clipper

not saying it will work, but it is a different look than prior runs thanks to the Monday/Tuesday storm meandering off the NE coast and giving NE another foot

the way the GFS looks at 105 hrs., it's almost as if heights have been lowered enough down our way so that we might be close on the trailing clipper

not saying it will work, but it is a different look than prior runs thanks to the Monday/Tuesday storm meandering off the NE coast and giving NE another foot

Thats a negative good sir :(

Meanwhile a 1054 H is arriving in the Plains at 147 :axe:

The op runs are showing a mini-drought for our area.  The 240-hour total precip map from the GFS is below.

PR2TUAc.png

The 384-hour map isn't much better.

CPY1M7j.gif

Snow-making should still work though.  It might be a good time to go skiing. 

this pattern looks much more like a NINA than NINO, that's for sure

stupid PAC

The Pacific circulation looks very Niño-ish. We've been screwed by the Atlantic.

I've been reading up on the stratosphere and wave/stress interplay lately..if the QBO shear progresses normally, we could finally see a -NAM get going in March.

I personally like the Feb15-Mar-5 window, based on tropical & strat forcing progression.

The Pacific circulation looks very Niño-ish. We've been screwed by the Atlantic.

I've been reading up on the stratosphere and wave/stress interplay lately..if the QBO shear progresses normally, we could finally see a -NAM get going in March.

I personally like the Feb15-Mar-5 window, based on tropical & strat forcing progression.

We've had a -NAM.....and a -GFS, and a -GGEM, and a -EURO for a while now. ;)

I agree that the GFS looks dryish until the end of the run. The system coming through Sunday-Tuesday looks amusing. The surface low moves very slowly. Wouldn't surprise me if snow is diurnal/elevation/latitude driven.

Wouldn't surprise me if the met known as snow goose is correct and that the good times roll during later third February through first week March.

The cries of emotional desperation...moving north is the cure.

Any science behind that statement or is it just more wishcasting

I don't see it happening unless we flat out get lucky, with western ridge amp/placement, and some transient improvement on the Atlantic side. With the +NAO, as we have seen all winter, a Miller A is going to be problematic due to lower pressure over GL. High pressure over NE too far east(and moving east) and possibly some SE ridging. If we get one its likely a rainer for many.

I don't see it happening unless we flat out get lucky, with western ridge amp/placement, and some transient improvement on the Atlantic side. With the +NAO, as we have seen all winter, a Miller A is going to be problematic due to lower pressure over GL. High pressure over NE too far east(and moving east) and possibly some SE ridging. If we get one its likely a rainer for many.

HM tweeted -nao by march!! pna to continue thru feb

Not saying it's right or that I know anything but the last two runs of the gfs op are effectively ending winter here after Presidents' Day...for a bit anyway...perhaps our January thaw and reshuffle before our Marchageddon?

GFS ens mean looks generally cold throughout. Western ridge/eastern trough of varying amplitude and placement. Some N Atlantic blocking showing up, but too far east.

Archived