joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 500mb evolution is an improvement...a stronger frontrunner isn't a bad thing...it will dig more and the trailer will catch up...

At least we don't have to worry as much about a drifting cutoff giving us 2" of rain. Lol

I really still have no idea how this will play out. Little pieces so close together are giving numerical models fits. Looks like odds still favor some snow. I agree about the shift towards colder temps being a good step. Euro was pretty cold for the second wave. Hopefully it keeps that look and adds some precip.

By this time tomorrow night, i will be getting less than 1" at the rate this map has been dropping. This is the same screw as this past Sunday's storm.

post-342-0-38752300-1423118588.jpg

I never saw this next 7 days as much of a threat around here. It looks like the only interesting thing will be to see if this can come south a little and give more of us some measurable snow or if it trends north and brings more people into the screw zone. The final snow map is not likely to look like this, though.

MDstorm

Not sure this is going to play out exactly as currently advertised. Just looks wonky. Probably light/moderate overrunning initially but as the front sags further south early next week a low should form...somewhere. If the cold air seeps southward, and with plenty of colder/drier air to the north, could see a mixed precip event transitioning to snow. Key is that final piece of energy and if it really does anything... and how far south it can track/ how much cold air we can get in here by then. Still some potential for better trends for Mon-Tues. 

If I had been looking at this run of 6z GFS last year I'd say hey, we only need that arctic front to sag another 100 miles south, we're still 84h+ out from the start, this is definitely possible. Obviously hasn't happened this year....but you never know maybe we get lucky.

As :weenie: as this is, I'm not out until 0z tonight. This event has so many parallels that maybe something will shift. Heck, I'd be happy if it just shifted further north to screw SNE. I'm in a bad mood. We don't need to share snow because we have no snow to share.

As :weenie: as this is, I'm not out until 0z tonight. This event has so many parallels that maybe something will shift. Heck, I'd be happy if it just shifted further north to screw SNE. I'm in a bad mood. We don't need to share snow because we have no snow to share.

I'm going to track it of course just because there's nothing else to track for us.  But you never know, that high pushes a little more, the arctic boundary sets up a little south of DC instead of southern PA and we're in business.

I looked at the entire 6z GFS op run just for kicks and nothing jumped out at me.  Not even fantasy snow in mid Feb.  The pattern as depicted is just not a snow or even frozen pattern for the MA and that's it. 

Could change by 12z ;)

I have noticed the new GFS almost never teases with fantasy snow bombs in the long range. Its no fun.

I posted something about a GFS run earlier in the week that Boston may end up with like 7 feet of snow on the ground if that run verified. Well obviously that was a joke with compaction. But they may very well end up with close to 4 feet if these runs keep going the way they are. They just cant miss this winter. Should end up a crazy 2 week period for them for sure.

Last week it was Thursday night's runs that shifted north... A shift that basically zeroed in on what was to be a general consensus among the models.

Somehow I feel this is locked in for 40N and we aren't getting a reverse shift... hard to believe it was only a week ago.

If this was March 2014, then maybe I'd have hope, but the PV just doesn't seem as strong this year... certainly not enough for us to get away with a +NAO like last year.

Archived