joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was 2008-09 an analog for this season? Event wise it seems pretty similar...I just don't have a way to access the upper air pattern for that season's February and March, Dec & Jan seemed to lack a NAO similarly to this year. 

We eventually cashed in 2008-09 with the March 1-2 storm, wonder if we can sneak in an event this season as well.

Was 2008-09 an analog for this season? Event wise it seems pretty similar...I just don't have a way to access the upper air pattern for that season's February and March, Dec & Jan seemed to lack a NAO similarly to this year. 

We eventually cashed in 2008-09 with the March 1-2 storm, wonder if we can sneak in an event this season as well.

"We" is such a curious term.

yea, that year was a total bust for my area, waited all year for one decent coastal storm, and when it finally happened it took an offshore track and fringed anyone west of 95.  That year was worse for me then 11-12, at least that year I got a big snow in October. 

08-09 was a terrible winter.

Could be dry for the entire cold shot but I kinda doubt it. There will likely be some clips in the mix. Things that ops can't pick up because it's years outside of their range.

When the cold shot relaxes there could be something more organized. No way of knowing. One thing we can probably bet on is the cold shot won't be as deep and amplified as currently shown (and this may not be a bad thing).

My hope is coming up small now... I think we see some more snow this year based on the cold being close by, but in general, we get past the 14th, and my hope is done at anything more than 6" and only small for 4"+

The year of promise was too good to be true... every assumption made in the fall, except the PNA, did not come true! NOT ONE!

Learn a lot no matter what!

My hope is coming up small now... I think we see some more snow this year based on the cold being close by, but in general, we get past the 14th, and my hope is done at anything more than 6" and only small for 4"+

The year of promise was too good to be true... every assumption made in the fall, except the PNA, did not come true! NOT ONE!

Learn a lot no matter what!

We learned SAI is BS.

Gfs wants to break the pattern down finally at the end of this run. Please let it be right.

Yeah it keeps hinting at it. CFS and euro weeklies have had some relax/SE ridge by early Mar but ensembles aren't really having it yet.

08-09 was a terrible winter.

yea, that year was a total bust for my area, waited all year for one decent coastal storm, and when it finally happened it took an offshore track and fringed anyone west of 95.  That year was worse for me then 11-12, at least that year I got a big snow in October.

Agree on all counts.

sets up the next clipper to bliz for NE

it's over

That clipper originates on the west shore of the Hudson Bay.  There is no chance that could possible be anything for us.  Its amazing it dives south enough to even get Boston.  We are not going to score with systems that come out of central Canada.  We have had totally crap timing this year.  Our biggest problem right now is the STJ seems totally dead again.  We need either a resurgence of that or a split flow where maybe something can cut off and bowl across.  There has always been one thing VERY wrong.  When we had a good PNA ridge the STJ was dead.  Then the STJ got active and the PNA came down just enough to allow those storms to go to our north.  Now the PNA is building again but the AO is about to spike into the +2.5 area...that means the trough axis even when right over us is barely going to dig to our latitude.  Thats the biggest problem IMO combined with a too far east trough, next Monday.  There is enough right to keep threats close by, but always one thing horribly wrong to cause a miss every time. 

Gfs wants to break the pattern down finally at the end of this run. Please let it be right.

Yeah it keeps hinting at it. CFS and euro weeklies have had some relax/SE ridge by early Mar but ensembles aren't really having it yet.

ughhh...please, let the misery end

The CMC is hinting at it at the end of its run as well. Screw it I'm good with an early spring at this point. Bring on the torch!

"Remember how evidence was mounting last month that early snowfall was accumulating across Siberia? And remember how there's a theory that says this snowfall signals a cold winter?  So in the two and half weeks since, the news for the winter-haters has, unfortunately, only gotten worse.  About 14.1 million square kilometers of snow blanked Siberia at the end of October, the second most in records going back to 1967.  The record was in 1976, which broke a streak of mild winters in the eastern US.  In addition, the speed at which snow has covered the region is the fastest since at least 1998."

The above quote was made on November 6th 2014.  Judah Cohen theory, while has some merit and should be taken into consideration, certainly did not play out well in terms of snow for the MA in 2014-2015.

"Remember how evidence was mounting last month that early snowfall was accumulating across Siberia? And remember how there's a theory that says this snowfall signals a cold winter?  So in the two and half weeks since, the news for the winter-haters has, unfortunately, only gotten worse.  About 14.1 million square kilometers of snow blanked Siberia at the end of October, the second most in records going back to 1967.  The record was in 1976, which broke a streak of mild winters in the eastern US.  In addition, the speed at which snow has covered the region is the fastest since at least 1998."

The above quote was made on November 6th 2014.  Judah Cohen theory, while has some merit and should be taken into consideration, certainly did not play out well in terms of snow for the MA in 2014-2015.

Didn't mean much for cold either.

His work is almost exclusively tied to the PV and predicting the AO state. It has failed 2 winters in a row now.

Archived