• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

yes...usually these things consolidate into one main system...which unless it switches back to those older runs where the 2nd system catches up, will probably be warm/mix

Still tons of wiggle room. D5 is the new D10. ;). For now it's hard to believe we are chasing more than scraps realistically but that could change.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still tons of wiggle room. D5 is the new D10. ;). For now it's hard to believe we are chasing more than scraps realistically but that could change.

probably, but I think we are all traumatized, and understandably...seeing a run 5 days out where DC is at or below freezing for 24hrs+ with some sort of precip around would usually be met with some optimism/hope...but we have been stung...hopefully the GGEM shows 30" for HGR again

Bob what do you think of the look at 500 with the second vort? Doesn't seem like it's a bad look for us....

Too many run over run changes in both speed and evolution. It has the ability to get right for us but I'm pretty much with Ian's thoughts. It's complicated and that's bad for us. But track is decent. A lot depends on where the surface and 850 low track and when/where they strengthen. Precip shield is prob going to look a bit strange. Atypical. SLP track on the 12z from ky-east to nc-off the coast isn't terrible. GFS is good temp wise from 132-144 but precip is light. That can change along with a zillion other things.

and yet I keep having to scroll through dozens of useless whining complaining posts by people acting like babies telling us how crappy this winter is. Jesus Christ get over it. It is what it is. Mother Nature don't care about your feelings. Filling this thread with woe is me crap is just annoying to those of us still trying to track threats the rest of this winter.

:clap:

Too many run over run changes in both speed and evolution. It has the ability to get right for us but I'm pretty much with Ian's thoughts. It's complicated and that's bad for us. But track is decent. A lot depends on where the surface and 850 low track and when/where they strengthen. Precip shield is prob going to look a bit strange. Atypical. SLP track on the 12z from ky-east to nc-off the coast isn't terrible. GFS is good temp wise from 132-144 but precip is light. That can change along with a zillion other things.

And there's the real problem.  Trying to get a handle on things has been tough this winter.  About all you can do is peek at a model at about the 72 hour range.  You might be able to get a good feel at that point.  Looking 96 to 144 is about a total waste of time.

Globals agree that the lead s/w will have no impact, wash out, and not have an effect on the second more important s/w.

GFS solution @500mb doesn't consolidate enough to throw heavy amounts of moisture back into the cold sector of the storm. Right now we have a storm somewhat cut off from the northern jet so we're just left with nice surface low development but no good support/consolidation to get the precip going at the same time a strong High to the north that cant be tapped for its goods all because of the disorganized 500mb structure to our SE. Reminds me of those warm annoying March cutoffs where the northern jet retreats as a 980mb monster sits off the coast but in this particular case the vortex in Eastern Canada continues to rotate and keep high heights were we need them and the cold air supply very close. If (on the GFS) we can better/quicker consolidation @500mb as time goes on the cold air supply will easily be tapped and filter and of course better more expansive precip shield.

Edit: Just saw the Canadian. Consolidates at 500 very quickly but of course the surface low develops to far inland

And there's the real problem. Trying to get a handle on things has been tough this winter. About all you can do is peek at a model at about the 72 hour range. You might be able to get a good feel at that point. Looking 96 to 144 is about a total waste of time.

Especially with 2 tightly spaced vorts. Trying to figure out #2 is rough. Inside of hr96 we'll probably see some good agreement. My early guess is the agreement isn't going to be very friendly. We're battling track, strength, temps, and precip. Awful lot of warmer/rainier solutions showing up on ops and ensembles.

Especially with 2 tightly spaced vorts. Trying to figure out #2 is rough. Inside of hr96 we'll probably see some good agreement. My early guess is the agreement isn't going to be very friendly. We're battling track, strength, temps, and precip. Awful lot of warmer/rainier solutions showing up on ops and ensembles.

There's another on the second's tail too with pretty weak upstream ridging. I think we're already seeing the models start to push the second part thru faster. Would imagine that continues. That may kill off the warmest solutions a bit. 

There's another on the second's tail too with pretty weak upstream ridging. I think we're already seeing the models start to push the second part thru faster. Would imagine that continues. That may kill off the warmest solutions a bit.

Certainly possible. The funny thing is if you look at the h5 vort panels from 138-150 on the CMC you would think instant rakage here.

Certainly possible. The funny thing is if you look at the h5 vort panels from 138-150 on the CMC you would think instant rakage here.

I think as long as there is 'another' on the heels in the procession  the models are not gonna have a firm grip on the situation. Flip-flop. flip-flop.

Archived