Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wtf? What happened to 19 degree 2 m temps and 48 hours of snow.... Well I guess it wouldn't be morning without yet another monumental disaster on the global models

You do know that 5 days out nothing is a "disaster", right? The storm is there, the details are to be sorted out. It could be rain, it could be snow, it could be both and ice, it could be nothing. But the signal for the set-up was on all the models last night, so that's of interest.

good point actually.  and the fact that although the WPC is disregarding the European model suite the GFS has trended toward it with the meandering low and long duration precip.  so who knows.  Maybe the ensembles will help clear things up.  but you are correct that everything is on the table and we are still 5 days at least from H-Hour

good point actually.  and the fact that although the WPC is disregarding the European model suite the GFS has trended toward it with the meandering low and long duration precip.  so who knows.  Maybe the ensembles will help clear things up.  but you are correct that everything is on the table and we are still 5 days at least from H-Hour

its rather interesting the consistency of the models to make changes to forecast that seem to stick about 4-5 days in advance.

My thread got locked but we still have time for the 02/10 low to behave properly.

The EURO has the slow moving thingie.  So we are getting a signal, imperfect

though it may be.

As almost always, Wes is correct.  The West Coast/Rocky Mountain ridge is

somehow just not the best amplitude/position and the blocking at high latitude

is not as sharp as was depicted last night.

06z GFS has the "wandering" low... but to see snow, to the I-81 corridor you must go... hrs 135 to 162... its cold rain for most of us :axe:

Though there are two H's in Canada... so CAD maybe?

As depicted on the 6z GFS, 850's "torch" all the way up here (I live along I-81 near Hazleton) and about half the event is mixed or liquid.

i am not bailing due to the 6z gfs run which actually has a good track.  I would say we are in better shape this weekend than last weekend when there was zero hope

I'm with you on this.  The track isn't awful and it this point it's such a strange evolution that things will probably change quite a bit in the next 48 hours of modeling.

looks like the gfs continues to show a long complicated event. And it sounds like the euro has something similar, since I haven't seen the EURO maps. considering the two major globals have locked onto this strange scenario, I consider that to be a plus. Sounds like there might be enough snow for everybody in the final analysis, at least that's the possibility and that's all we can hope for this wretched winter. to worry about what someone else might get in the area of snowfall is a waste of time imho.

Wtf? What happened to 19 degree 2 m temps and 48 hours of snow.... Well I guess it wouldn't be morning without yet another monumental disaster on the global models

I have to agree with you.  Reminiscent of what was supposed to happen yesterday according to the models last week.  Close to 0 degree temps didn't quite work out, but I'll keep the faith.

Wow it's just depressing in here. We just had a great 0z run. Every model showed some snow. A couple were big hits. Then one bad 6z gfs run and it's run for the life boats. Too many have gone full tilt

What? You can't live and die by OP model runs outside of 96 hours. The threat is 4-5 days out; the important pieces now ar the overall players and potential which is still there.

Let me be clear I think odds are against us but it's not a million to one. My gut right now we have a 25% chance of a 6"+ event. 25% 1-5" and 50% we get skunked. So yea odds are not great but I'm going to track the threat, hope, and roll the dice. Then if it doesn't happen I will look at the next threat probably around the 16th and so on until the pattern says we have no chance. Obviously some want to just complain over and over about their lack of snow which is odd given this year is no worse then about half our winters so far.

FYI- I wasn't complaining. I was just pointing out a fact that the models, especially the Euro, were way off with temps yesterday.  I am actually pretty upbeat.  My dad is coming up from La.  He likes snow as much as we all do and the last time he was here was 3/17/14, so I am hoping he brings the ju-ju.   :thumbsup:

FYI- I wasn't complaining. I was just pointing out a fact that the models, especially the Euro, were way off with temps yesterday. I am actually pretty upbeat. My dad is coming up from La. He likes snow as much as we all do and the last time he was here was 3/17/14, so I am hoping he brings the ju-ju. :thumbsup:

people look at it wrong. When there is a sharp thermal boundary like that it's not fair to say the model changed by 20 degrees when in reality it just shifted the boundary 50 miles and dc is now on the wrong side of it. That kind of shift is noise at 120 hours.

We do tainted events with marginal temps fairly well here.  Looks like the models are locked in on precip and a developing low to our SE, which is a good start.  Now we will see the models bounce around with more taint, less taint for the next few days.  Generally I wouldn't get too high or low on individual op runs at this range.  The ensembles are probably still of more use at this point. 

Let me be clear I think odds are against us but it's not a million to one. My gut right now we have a 25% chance of a 6"+ event. 25% 1-5" and 50% we get skunked. So yea odds are not great but I'm going to track the threat, hope, and roll the dice. Then if it doesn't happen I will look at the next threat probably around the 16th and so on until the pattern says we have no chance. Obviously some want to just complain over and over about their lack of snow which is odd given this year is no worse then about half our winters so far.

Bullish

We do tainted events with marginal temps fairly well here.  Looks like the models are locked in on precip and a developing low to our SE, which is a good start.  Now we will see the models bounce around with more taint, less taint for the next few days.  Generally I wouldn't get too high or low on individual op runs at this range.  The ensembles are probably still of more use at this point. 

Even that monster GGEM run has a very tainted HECS... often switches between 35 degree drizzle and heavy snow and even seems to end as rain (based on the tropicaltidbits precip panels).

Maybe so, but he lives in the high hills of northern Carroll county so for that area I think his numbers are reasonable.

If someone put a gun to my head I would go with a stripe of 6-12 from the ohio valley to NE... MD/ PA line south rain... the only positive is that maybe... just maybe the 95 corridor from NY to Boston is just a little too warm for snow.  

people look at it wrong. When there is a sharp thermal boundary like that it's not fair to say the model changed by 20 degrees when in reality it just shifted the boundary 50 miles and dc is now on the wrong side of it. That kind of shift is noise at 120 hours.

no they (we) don't

we are all too familiar with the seasonal trends

and what has become ironic is that even the models have established a trend this season by advertising similar snow scenarios 4+ days out only to fail

no they (we) don't

we are all too familiar with the seasonal trends

and what has come ironic is that even the models have established a trend this season by advertising similar snow scenarios 4+ days out only to fail

Great post.  I never believed in the seasonal trend... atmospheric memory nonsense... but the pattern is unfolding right before us.  

Early look at the SREF's absolutely don't comfort me in terms of snow chances, looks like they would be warm/north.

look at the mean....it's fookin' zonal across the country    lol

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F09%2Fsref_namer_087_500_vort_ht.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=500_vort_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150204+09+UTC&imageSize=&ps=model

Archived