12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a hybrid between the really bad solutions and the really good ones..there is a phase but the frontrunning vort takes the lead....so the initial part of the storm is warm....eventually we get this deep trough to swing east and it spawns a coastal, but we lose our big cold producing high....it is still a super long duration mess...I'm out to late Tuesday evening and it is still snowing....it's a 60 hour event of some sort....when all is said and done we probably have 4-8" on the ground verbatim, but the evolution is all convoluted...and guaranteed to be wrong....

the details are a complicated mess...but there are a few consistent threads showing up, a pretty good trough axis and a good high location locked in.  The lead vort throws a wrench in things, I would feel better if it was gone, but as is there is obvious potential in that period for something to pop off the mid atlantic coast as the h5 trough deepens and possibly cuts off.  The models are going to shift around with the details but the setup gives us a chance.  I am less worried about the specifics of each op run as I am seeing that the general setup is still there. 

the details are a complicated mess...but there are a few consistent threads showing up, a pretty good trough axis and a good high location locked in.  The lead vort throws a wrench in things, I would feel better if it was gone, but as is there is obvious potential in that period for something to pop off the mid atlantic coast as the h5 trough deepens and possibly cuts off.  The models are going to shift around with the details but the setup gives us a chance.  I am less worried about the specifics of each op run as I am seeing that the general setup is still there. 

yes...we can't worry about every run...I will follow every run, but there is no way the models are going to be able to get the details right anytime soon, if at all....

You would think a 1040 H in Quebec region would help us some... guess GGEM didnt like that idea

1. with a low tracking that close your assuming the high doesn't help...without the high this wouldnt even be close to snow

2.  You are assuming the runs tonight are going to be exactly correct with the thermal gradient at 120 hours?  they could easily be too far north 50 miles and then DC gets crushed. 

Its way too early to be freaking out about exact track and temperatures.  Setup and potential is all we can look at now

GFS is pretty crazy IMBY.  Looks like about 18 hours of rain, followed by 24 hours of freezing rain followed by 24 hours of snow.  We end up with about a foot of snow (at 10:1 ratios), eastern PA gets about 2 feet.  Nearly 2" qpf.

GGEM verbatim has a crazy stupid cutoff across the region.  kina reminds me of the March 58 storm in both duration, track, temperatures, and snowfall distribution.  I am not saying this solution is right...again not worried about details, just find it interesting to look at but the totals are crazy for areas NW

DCA: 6"

IAD: 12"

BWI: 8"

Leesburg: 20"

MRG & Westminster 25"

HGR: 30"

ETA:  actually it keeps snowing a panel after I was looking at, might have to add a few inches to those totals...MRG to westminster are closer to 30"

small jackpot just north of the MD/PA line north of baltimore of 35-40"  again very very very much like the snowmap for 1958. 

GGEM verbatim has a crazy stupid cutoff across the region.  kina reminds me of the March 58 storm in both duration, track, temperatures, and snowfall distribution.  I am not saying this solution is right...again not worried about details, just find it interesting to look at but the totals are crazy for areas NW

MRG & Westminster 25"

I was just about to mention March 1958 after cae's comment about the GFS. Glad you brought it up. Lots of rain, lots of snow, and a motherlode of precip. Getting something like that in Feb would make it that much better, especially if followed by bitter cold.

MRG & Westminster 25"

ETA:  actually it keeps snowing a panel after I was looking at, might have to add a few inches to those totals...MRG to westminster are closer to 30"

small jackpot just north of the MD/PA line north of baltimore of 35-40"  again very very very much like the snowmap for 1958. 

Nuts, thats 2/5/2010 totals here.

MRG & Westminster 25"

Funny thing is, I'd normally be ridiculously stoked with 8-10 inches here in Towson, but if places 45 minutes north of me got 3 feet, I'd still feel miserable about the whole thing - haha.

I was just about to mention March 1958 after cae's comment about the GFS. Glad you brought it up. Lots of rain, lots of snow, and a motherlode of precip. 

I have been thinking about the march 58 storm a lot looking at some of the ensemble runs...just had that kind of look to a lot of the members.  It finally showed up on some op runs recently.  I think its a long shot to go down that way, but that was an analog year and I think that is the best case scenario upside of what this could do if it works out perfectly.  Its a complicated setup and so one with high bust potential, but also with big upside potential.  The h5 track in this case is actually great, just need the surface to work out for us.  I also tend to think the thermal profile is more likely to shift south a little bit as this gets closer given the way this is evolving compared to the last few events. 

Funny thing is, I'd normally be ridiculously stoked with 8-10 inches here in Towson, but if places 45 minutes north of me got 3 feet, I'd still feel miserable about the whole thing - haha.

towson is closer to 14" crazy stupid cutoff across Baltimore area...but details like that are irrelavent at this range

Archived