• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

Would be a fitting end to this winter to get fringed by a suppressed storm. At least its something to watch in the long range. The GFS still wants to bury NE throughout its run. That would make sense with the way this year has gone so far.

it's not suppressed, ecmwf just doesn't go out far enough. It gets snow all the way to Columbus Ohio. Look at the 700rh we are in the comma head at 240. Next frame would have been a big hit. Now it's 10 days away so.....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not suppressed, ecmwf just doesn't go out far enough. It gets snow all the way to Columbus Ohio. Look at the 700rh we are in the comma head at 240. Next frame would have been a big hit. Now it's 10 days away so.....

I was literally going to mention the same thing (700mb RH). With those temps, it would qualify as a blizzard in these parts. Frankly, I don't think I've seen any storm look that good on a model in years...but then it is a 10 day map.

No. I I know. Was just making a statement about a fitting end to winter. It would end up cutting most likely.

Euro ensemble mean definitely shows a strong signal for the storm considering how far out it is. But not a strong one for a miller A. Mean track is into ky/wv and then a jump to the coast. Clusters show cutters/miller b's/ and miller A's. There's isn't a strong hp to the north on the means. West track would be the most likely imo. Subject to change every 12-24 hours.

I was literally going to mention the same thing (700mb RH). With those temps, it would qualify as a blizzard in these parts. Frankly, I don't think I've seen any storm look that good on a model in years...but then it is a 10 day map.

I doubt it too but I suppose showing it at least means it's possible.

Euro ensemble mean definitely shows a strong signal for the storm considering how far out it is. But not a strong one for a miller A. Mean track is into ky/wv and then a jump to the coast. Clusters show cutters/miller b's/ and miller A's. There's isn't a strong hp to the north on the means. West track would be the most likely imo. Subject to change every 12-24 hours.

but it starts so cold that the mean 850's are still -6c!

Track into ky isn't bad if there is cold in front.

Track into ky isn't bad if there is cold in front.

Yeah its easy to say it will track up to the NW, as that has been the case with most of these events lately. But the look is intriguing...seems it will be plenty cold in front. Could stay underneath or do a Miller B. Could end up taking a good track and rain. Too far out to say. We watch and wait...again.

Yeah. I noticed that. Decent signal for a coastal of some kind B/A...I cant believe I'm getting sucked in again.

Nah, don't get sucked in. Just casually watch. If it goes poof then no big deal. Long range threats have done nothing for us all year. I'm thinking something small pops up beforehand.

Nah, don't get sucked in. Just casually watch. If it goes poof then no big deal. Long range threats have done nothing for us all year. I'm thinking something small pops up beforehand.

I agree. I still think one of these clippers ends up south of us over the next couple of weeks. I could live with a cold 1-3 at this point.

This is the one! Let's do this

I went through the EPS members and was encouraged with many west tracks having plenty of cold wedged in. The really crappy ones have a dominant low tracking the northern Midwest. As far as fantasy threats go, this one seems ok. If a big storm forms in the deep south we would probably have the biggest storm of the year even if it's a kitchen sink.

This is the one! Let's do this

the euro is an absolute dream

places to our wsw have 10-12" on the ground and still snowing

surface temp at BWI after .12" qpf has fallen is -9.2C and 850 is -13.2C

even as far south as Tappahanock, VA surface temp is -6.3C and 850 is -9.4C!

honestly, there is soooo much cold air around the track almost doesn't matter (assuming it is that cold, of course)

We're talking about the late Feb deal?

I'm just casually watching the clipper next Thurs/Fri

on the Euro, it would start at 228 hrs.

18Z GFS around same time actually drops .25+qpf with extreme cold around the same time with a clipper (loses the southern part), which would probably be 15-20:1 ratios with temps GFS is showing

Mitch, euro ens mean has 850s around -7 @ d10. 0c line basically at the nc/sc border.

D12 has it below -10. Pretty cold for a mean.

I know, I eyeballed around -6C on my phone when I posted earlier

IF we can really get the cold that the models are showing, and that's a big IF since this cold of cold has been advertised several times this year w/o success, anything that comes from our W or SW would be all frozen....it's just too damn cold for anything else to fall whether centered e, s, w or n of us

I know, I eyeballed around -6C on my phone when I posted earlier

IF we can really get the cold that the models are showing, and that's a big IF since this cold of cold has been advertised several times this year w/o success, anything that comes from our W or SW would be all frozen....it's just too damn cold for anything else to fall whether centered e, s, w or n of us

Even taking into account the underperformance with temps all year with the ops, it's pretty unanimous that we're going to have a respectable cold shot.

I really hope we can get something small to track next week. I already know the gfs and or euro aren't going to show anything like what the 12z euro showed in the long range. I'd much prefer to focus on something inside of 7 days.

Archived