joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That storm was legit for me, got 5.5" cement on the front end WAA snows, then 2" more cement as the main cooler deform band came thru the next morning :) picks in the winter pic thread of course. http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44959-winter-of-2014-15-picture-thread/page-2

Even then, you were essentially in the bullseye of a overall crappy system, aesthetically-speaking (I call it a "mutant storm") and in terms of actual cold sector moisture/precipitation...

I'd say it's only legit by the low standards of practically every storm post-GHD 2011...

Even then, you were essentially in the bullseye of a overall crappy system, aesthetically-speaking (I call it a "mutant storm") and in terms of actual cold sector moisture/precipitation...

I'd say it's only legit by the low standards of practically every storm post-GHD 2011...

Gonna assume you are referring to your backyard. I wouldn't call 17" ( last Jan 4-5th ) a low standard legit storm. :P

giphy.gif

Gonna assume you are referring to your backyard. I wouldn't call 17" ( last Jan 4-5th ) a low standard legit storm. :P

Well technically, that wasn't really a southern stream system (any southern stream interaction was negligible at best).

Even then, while there was a lot of cold sector moisture/precip with it, aesthetically, it was a rather unimpressive-looking storm (probably because it didn't have much, if any, southern stream interaction).

Well technically, that wasn't really a southern stream system (any southern stream interaction was negligible at best).

Even then, while there was a lot of cold sector moisture/precip with it, aesthetically, it was a rather unimpressive-looking storm (probably because it didn't have much, if any, southern stream interaction).

Who cares what it looked like.  For all we know, some of the bigger storms from the past may not have looked the best.  That aesthetically challenged storm managed to dump 10+ over about as wide an area of IN as any storm before.

Who cares what it looked like. For all we know, some of the bigger storms from the past may not have looked the best. That aesthetically challenged storm managed to dump 10+ over about as wide an area of IN as any storm before.

agree. For all the whining about not getting big storms, DTW has had FOUR 10"+ storms since 2011. Aesthetics be damned lol

Who cares what it looked like.  For all we know, some of the bigger storms from the past may not have looked the best.  That aesthetically challenged storm managed to dump 10+ over about as wide an area of IN as any storm before.

As far as the bolded, that's probably a very short list (excluding January 4th-5th), as none come to mind immediately. All of the biggies I can recall in recent history (December 2007, December 1987, GHD 2011, December 2000, Blizzard of 1978, December 2006, March 2008, etc.) were formidable-looking southern-stream cyclones.

But more to my point, we have yet to get a decent wound-up southern stream system with a ton of cold sector precipitation/moisture in our region since GHD 2011. Whatever southern stream threats we've seen have been sheared out, disjointed messes...

I see NW flow hell in the future...

Yep, if the ensembles are right past day 10, the attempt at the ridge flattening/sliding east early to mid next week will be followed by a transition to -EPO and +PNA. Best we can hope for is the ridge axis being farther west plus lack of Atlantic blocking to allow for a southern stream wave to cut and phase farther west or amped up clippers/hybrid Pacific systems. I'd bet more on the latter.

I don't like how this regime is already taking over towards the beginning of February, it already stuck around for way too long last year.

What I would hope is that a split flow eventually develops and we start to see some undercutting of the ridge for more systems to move into the SW, otherwise the drought in the west is going to quickly expand again.

I think there is a good chance the ridge axis will be further west. Whether it does anything is another question.

well if we're talking about the euro, doesn't it have a bias west already.  JB always harps on the euro's westward bias with ridge/trough placements and the gfs east bias.    Claims the euro often mishandles the effects of the rockies....or something

That was one cold GFS run. Two different shots of -30 deg C air at 850mb into the upper Midwest/Lakes region after day 10 

That's some brutal cold in the long range. I think some of the coldest temps of the winter are almost inevitable at the end of January into the beginning of February, but hopefully it isn't that extreme.  

The Euro is really cold towards the end of the run too. With the magnitude of cold shown, you'd think northern Louisiana has a better chance at interesting winter weather than the Ohio Valley :lol:

Would really hate to waste what looks like the STJ actually coming to life by the beginning of February by getting extremely suppressive cold. Then again that could be interesting a little later in the month as the cold relaxes if the STJ can remain active.

Archived