• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2015 obs/disco/short range

AlaskaETC

I would think strong CAA westerly winds would mitigate the UHI somewhat, but I'm sure DCA will be the warm spot.  

Actually did a small study a few years ago of whether wind could mitigate the UHI for DC.  Didn't find anything conclusive, unfortunately. 

Yeah I'd think it won't be as big as a calm night. MOS is pretty low.. could flirt with single digits but maybe just above. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think strong CAA westerly winds would mitigate the UHI somewhat, but I'm sure DCA will be the warm spot.  

Actually did a small study a few years ago of whether wind could mitigate the UHI for DC.  Didn't find anything conclusive, unfortunately. 

The sterling example of CAA trumping everything is 1/19/94- Hi/Lo's for each airport:

DCA: 8/-4

IAD:  6/-6

BWI: 5/-5 

Temps still dropping steady, DPs too.  19/7 now - down 2 on both in the last hour.  Seems each cloud and wind surge that comes through drops things a little more.  Must be a fun day up on the Allegheny Plateau.  Looks like we have a decent chance of beating tonight's forecast low of 7.   Looking at NOAA's site nearly the entire eastern half of the country is under a wind chill advisory and/or some other kind of cold weather alert.  Don't recall such a wide spread cold in recent memory, impressive.

HRRR had 12 for me last night. Mount Holly forecasted low was 18. I hit 13 before temps rose to about 20 during the early morning.

it might not be super far off but it has widespread near 0 temps by 2 which seems too cold. definitely wrong at DCA. 

I noticed last night when I shoveled, the snow on on the grass was melting where it meets the sidewalk indicating the ground was still warm

it wasn't well below freezing long enough for the ground to freeze, even the top layer

That's surprising.  In Clarksburg, the ground was frozen from last week down maybe 2".  When the rain hit over the weekend, it melted the top inch or so and the warm day on Sunday melted the ground where there was direct sunlight.  Anywhere that was partially or fully shaded stayed frozen that inch down so went the temps fell Monday night. only the top inch had to freeze which it did quickly since it was cold on top and from below.  By 9pm Monday night, everything was frozen solid again so I could walk in even the boggiest parts of my yard.

The sterling example of CAA trumping everything is 1/19/94- Hi/Lo's for each airport:

DCA: 8/-4

IAD:  6/-6

BWI: 5/-5 

When I first read this quickly, I thought you were referring to LWX ("sterling")!!  Those are some *cold* temps for here!  Same weekend there was record to near record cold over much of the eastern U.S.  It got down to the -20s in Ohio then, I recall, after a nice 6-8" snow event.

Some interesting streamers on radar, and it's looked dark to the north of me for some time.  Got a few flurries earlier but generally has been partly cloudy and breezy.  Maybe an occasional flake since then.  That wind is d*mn chilly!

that band that went through State College earlier is heading south through PA

Baltimore and north look to be on the edge if current trajectory holds, and assuming the band holds together...it's a good one though

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=CCX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Been watching it since it originate in central New York this morning.

you're in the perfect spot and could get 1/2-1" out of it with your elevation

You may remember early February 2009 during the inverted trough that gave parts of southeastern PA 8 inches while areas a few miles away got nothing. That same night a line of snow showers developed in PA and dropped into the area and actually strengthened when it got to northern MD. Manchester got 3-4 inches. I missed it because I still lived in Reisterstown and my house here was being built. I was here the next day to meet with the builder and couldn't believe the snow cover. Strange thing about that night was the line of snowshowers made it all the way to PG county. LWX started issuing SWS and even WWA's for parts of the area after they got reports of what was happening in northern MD. By the time the snow showers reached Reisterstown they lost all their punch and I only got a dusting despite the WWA for 1-2. Then they began to fire up again as they moved south towards the beltway and maybe even your area where they produced an inch or so.

Another example of something similar where the Manchester area got their own private snowstorm was on Saturday of Valentine's Day weekend in 2012. A cold front came through late that afternoon with a squall line of snow that fizzled as it got east of Hagerstown. We got about a 10 minute heavy snow shower. Then later that evening as the flow turned to the NW some snow showers developed in PA and dropped into northern MD and again they strengthened when they got here. We ended up with 2-3 inches in a 3-4 hour period. It was the best event of that year. Unlike the 2009 situation nobody south of Hampstead even saw a flurry.

Archived