• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

If there was a -NAO I'd say yes..but with no snow cover, a Pig Se ridge, and the propensity this season  of a 1980's type of winter..this is going to quickly go to rain from south to north. The clear trend has been stronger primary and less and less frozen.. nothing is going to hold off that warming clear up in SNH

If I'm not mistaken, the propensity this season has been for surface temps to remain colder than progged resulting in at least two reasonably good icing situations here that were supposed to be largely rain.  I'm hanging my hat on that propensity. 

Off for a walk in the DAR.

21.1/6

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there was a -NAO I'd say yes..but with no snow cover, a Pig Se ridge, and the propensity this season  of a 1980's type of winter..this is going to quickly go to rain from south to north. The clear trend has been stronger primary and less and less frozen.. nothing is going to hold off that warming clear up in SNH

You may be right, I just think you aren't giving enough credit to New England gradient climo by broadbrushing it like that.

What cutter on the 7th?

What is the event (or former event) on the 7th? It looks like it dives south from Canada and off our south coast. GFS seems to have it as does GEM, GFS Para and Euro seem to take it away (Event could be 6th or 7th evidently). Is not this called a "cutter" considering its origin?

Clipper. Cutters go (cut) W of us.

Sorry... I didn't even see it as I wrote it! I meant CLIPPER....I thought Mr. Nichols was playing with me when I first read his response... but I still didn't catch the mistake... maybe I've just seen too many cutters lately! Anyhow, does the clipper still seem to be in the works or is the inevitable trend away starting? If so, what's the cause of it trending away?

What is the event (or former event) on the 7th? It looks like it dives south from Canada and off our south coast. GFS seems to have it as does GEM, GFS Para and Euro seem to take it away (Event could be 6th or 7th evidently). Is not this called a "cutter" considering its origin?

Every model has the clipper, some are just weaker than the GFS.  Its not a cutter.

The only reason the models might lose the clipper idea is if the energy in the NE Pacific Ocean is weaker than modeled which will not dive far enough south to give us a swath of snow, if the disturbance is stronger than modeled than we could see much higher snowfall totals.

The Euro has no semblance of the clipper at all when I quick glanced at it, I'm thinking that event is very much up in the air on if it's existence even comes about much less if it is significant.

Yeah the HP was initially in a better spot and the primary a bit weaker.

I think tonight's 00z or tomorrow's 12Z are our last chance to see this thing go flatter...that energy is still in no man's land more or less, it reaches far WRN AK tonight and is in mainland areas tomorrow morning.  I never trust any event beyond 72 anymore where there is energy coming down from those areas, much different story of its coming into the PAC NW or SW but coming form Siberia into AK and then into NW Canada is about the worst route possible.  If that phase is a hair less this event is much colder for everyone.

The Euro has no semblance of the clipper at all when I quick glanced at it, I'm thinking that event is very much up in the air on if it's existence even comes about much less if it is significant.

Exactly.  There is much more of a chance that the event doesn't even happen....way to early to be talking about snow amounts being light or Significant.  I would venture to say, that if we are very fortunate, we may get a very light snowfall from it.  But right now, there is a greater chance nothing happens at all.

I think tonight's 00z or tomorrow's 12Z are our last chance to see this thing go flatter...that energy is still in no man's land more or less, it reaches far WRN AK tonight and is in mainland areas tomorrow morning. I never trust any event beyond 72 anymore where there is energy coming down from those areas, much different story of its coming into the PAC NW or SW but coming form Siberia into AK and then into NW Canada is about the worst route possible. If that phase is a hair less this event is much colder for everyone.

Kevin's sanity may hang in the balance of that energy swingin thru no mans land , for his sake and ours its nice to know a met looking at model output still gives this room to trend in right direction

What are you talking about?  The EURO has the clipper reforming off the SE New England coastline at hour 168.  Its still 7 days away, and while its possible nothing comes of it, the energy is still there so until that energy just disappears, the chances of snow are still on the table.  I'm sorry but I see a low pressure center reforming off the coast of SE New England near and se of the benchmark.

What are you talking about?  The EURO has the clipper reforming off the SE New England coastline at hour 168.  Its still 7 days away, and while its possible nothing comes of it, the energy is still there so until that energy just disappears, the chances of snow are still on the table.  I'm sorry but I see a low pressure center reforming off the coast of SE New England near and se of the benchmark.

James, when have you not seen that scenario?

Won't take much model margin of error to tic this a few degrees colder by tomorrow night's runs. Obviously it could go the other way too but as all the players get on the field we wait to see if a weaker Low gets modeled.

Yeah I mean maybe it was a tick warmer aloft, but we are arguing noise at this stage.

Archived