12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it seems a bit faster than the op? Can't really compare thermal fields like 850 because it looked a tad quicker, but I was just going by the overall look.

It does look a shade faster than the op. The precip is definitely much further northeast than the OP at the same time.

At any rate, clearly there is still some decent spread, so we'll just have to wait and see if we start to get a tigher clustering soon.

Scott what do you think the chances are of some good cold air damming in the Connecticut River Valley ? it seems like it always takes longer to warm up then modeled in my location.

Chances are good there, but you'll still go above freezing as modeled. That HP to the northeast will help lock in NE winds, but eventually the warmth aloft and winds veering more east will overcome any cold...but it will take a while. Could be a lot of IP and some ZR there perhaps if the GFS is right, after 1-3.

Is that a secondary trying to form down in the MA at 108 hours?

Yeah at the surface...the mid-levels are going to rip out of the southwest though...classic SWFE as depicted on the GFS.

I do like the high location. If that holds there as we get closer, I'd expect guidance to continue to slowly cool.

Chances are good there, but you'll still go above freezing as modeled. That HP to the northeast will help lock in NE winds, but eventually the warmth aloft and winds veering more east will overcome any cold...but it will take a while. Could be a lot of IP and some ZR there perhaps if the GFS is right, after 1-3.

Thanks.I almost always take the under on temperatures in my location in these set-ups. The icing situation after the Thanksgiving storm, I did not go above freezing until 11 a.m.when I was forecasted to go above by 6 or 7. Even during the Christmas Grinch storm the warm sector only got me to 49 degrees at night and I stayed at 43 for hours when Willimantic was 64

Thanks.I almost always take the under on temperatures in my location in this situation The icing situation after the Thanksgiving storm I did not go above freezing until 11 a.m.when I was forecasted to go above by 6 or 7. even in the Christmas Grinch storm the warm sector only got me to 49 degrees at night and I stayed at 43 for hours when Willimantic was 64

It also depends on the primary low. Something like the euro would be a quicker change to rain. It could go either way right now. But like Will said, sometimes the real arctic air sort of trends stronger or is more stubborn to relinquish its grip over us as you approach the event. We may see that.

Yeah but the EURO is further north with the clipper than the GFS, GFS would actually be the prime track for the surface low.  We need the low to come off the NJ coastline and head towards the benchmark and since we are dealing with northern stream energy and no shortwave interference in the way, I think we can get this northern stream shortwave to really dig and amplify enough for a big storm at the benchmark on Wednesday and Thursday.  2-4" across the Midwest and Great Lakes could turn into a 4--8" storm for eastern MA coastline, very cold air mass in place ahead of and behind the clipper.

I'm hoping for some snow on the front end with this first system. If I'm really lucky we'll end up with something otg.

I think it looks great for front end in the interior. I mentioned the euros tendency to spin up cutters in the long range. Seems like the airmass is doing nothing but getting colder as we head forward. Frozen to start for almost everyone in the least I would be thinking. Not a mega front end thump but we aren't far from a solution that would be great for many.

People were driving themselves crazy by tracking a system 10 days out. Funny how when you relax, focus on the pattern improving it has spawned a better looking event thus far for SNE. Just don't tell eduggs who said there is no such thing as a pattern.

I'm hoping for some snow on the front end with this first system. If I'm really lucky we'll end up with something otg.

I'm right there with you. A few inches followed by a few hours of sleet and other frozen garbage, followed by a little rain, then bitter cold afterwards to solidify would be very welcomed at this point. And that's what i'm thinking for my area at least.

I'm right there with you. A few inches followed by a few hours of sleet and other frozen garbage, followed by a little rain, then bitter cold afterwards to solidify would be very welcomed at this point. And that's what i'm thinking for my area at least.

Yeah you are probably in a decent spot there in Dracut.

Archived