e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trend is a colder airmass after Sunday, yes, but we stated the risk is certainly something moving over us or west with a +NAO. There are a lot of lows heading our way and just like last year, so will probably produce and some will cut.

Hey I'm with you on that Scott.  You and Will and others do provide some great insight for all of us.  I think everybody on here just needs one to produce...we haven't had that YET in SNE this young season.  I certainly do agree that we have numerous chances coming up, which is exciting.  Thanks again for the wise info/words, it is appreciated.

How far north does the mix precip make it? Is this more bad news for the NH ski resorts?

All the resorts get mixed precip...I'm not sure if its bad news though. There will be a net gain in snow out of it up there and there should be some snow on the backside to refresh it. I suppose it could get icy after the refreeze. A lot will depend just how long they warm up for. We don't really know yet.

All the resorts get mixed precip...I'm not sure if its bad news though. There will be a net gain in snow out of it up there and there should be some snow on the backside to refresh it. I suppose it could get icy after the refreeze. A lot will depend just how long they warm up for. We don't really know yet.

Net gain for all.  I still think you guys in the ORH hills can come out of this white.  I guess it'd say anyone that can lay down 3" on the front end, topped with some IP/ZR or even just a 34-35F rain will have a net gain.  Usually in these events, like 3" front-side seems to be about the point when you can come out of it with snow on the ground...especially if you aren't in like an urban area or city.  Throw 3" down on HubbDave's lawn with some ice crust on top and I don't see that all melting even in a solid 12-hour warm sector.

Net gain for all.  I still think you guys in the ORH hills can come out of this white.  I guess it'd say anyone that can lay down 3" on the front end, topped with some IP/ZR or even just a 34-35F rain will have a net gain.  Usually in these events, like 3" front-side seems to be about the point when you can come out of it with snow on the ground.

A lot will depend on any triple point low...it will be tough to survive 2-3" of snow (even with a glaze on it) if we rocket into the mid 40s or higher for several hours. The 12z Euro shows a more defined triple point low so I'd guess that would limit the sfc warmth...even more than the 2m temps verbatim.

Euro coming in similar to 00z...maybe a shade warmer aloft...but at the sfc the CAD signal is actually a bit better. This could actually mean a more prolonged period of icing over the interior than what the 00z run would indicate.

I'm glad your here to provide the interpretation--my take was this was a rainer through and through based on the 24-hour intervals I'm seeing.

22.8/3

Euro coming in similar to 00z...maybe a shade warmer aloft...but at the sfc the CAD signal is actually a bit better. This could actually mean a more prolonged period of icing over the interior than what the 00z run would indicate.

Terrible for me personally. 

The surface can trend as cold as it wants, I need the mid levels.

I'll go to plain rain, not ice.

I'm glad your here to provide the interpretation--my take was this was a rainer through and through based on the 24-hour intervals I'm seeing.

22.8/3

Nope..prob 2-3 inches of snow N of the pike on the front...then a period of icing over the interior...the further north, the longer it lasts. Then ending as some light rain or drizzle. That's verbatim on the 12z Euro.

Things could get better or worse from here on out...I'm not sure I'd favor either side of the coin right now. The SE ridge is just a pig in this system...but the antecedent airmass is very good.

The 925mb cold is real hard to scour out.  Just looking at MVL up here its got 0C H85 and -4C H925...going to +6C at H85 but 0C at H925, after most precip has fallen.  There's a sleet signal there for a while east of the Greens/Berks.

A lot will depend on any triple point low...it will be tough to survive 2-3" of snow (even with a glaze on it) if we rocket into the mid 40s or higher for several hours. The 12z Euro shows a more defined triple point low so I'd guess that would limit the sfc warmth...even more than the 2m temps verbatim.

Yeah 2-3" and 3-4" may be the difference though between someone having nothing and a crusty white covering....but moot point at this time.

I generally think though if you can put 1/2" liquid down as frozen and freezing, that's going to take a lot of energy to completely melt. 

Clipper seems to have fallen apart this EURO run.  Still some mood snows for SE New England, but definitely doesn't look like the GFS.

GFS has been more stable lately it seems though, and so far out, not worth really thinking about. 

One thing for certain...its going to be cold.

Comes close to a late bloomer for E MA and Maine...long ways out on the clipper though. Could easily end up nothing.

Most folks south of the NH border should plan on an hour or 2 of sleet and snow then  bit of zr then a transition to rain. We've all been thru enough of these over the years..These things typically trend warmer..not colder. Maybe MPM stays cold..but the rest of us are cooked

This is a gradient thing... I've noticed you've mentioned south of NH like 10 times so far today, but its not going to be that cut and dry.  I would say south of the Pike, yes, then up near RT 2 they can hold it for a while longer like Whitemister, HubbDave, MPM, etc.  I wouldn't just broad brush it so much as south of NH is not all the same in a SWFE.  I know you know these things.

This is a gradient thing... I've noticed you've mentioned NH like 10 times so far today, but its not going to be that cut and dry.  I would say south of the Pike, yes, then up near RT 2 they can hold it for a while longer like Whitemister, HubbDave, MPM, etc.  I wouldn't just broad brush it so much as south of NH is not all the same in a SWFE.

If there was a -NAO I'd say yes..but with no snow cover, a Pig Se ridge, and the propensity this season  of a 1980's type of winter..this is going to quickly go to rain from south to north. The clear trend has been stronger primary and less and less frozen.. nothing is going to hold off that warming clear up in SNH

If there was a -NAO I'd say yes..but with no snow cover, a Pig Se ridge, and the propensity this season  of a 1980's type of winter..this is going to quickly go to rain from south to north. The clear trend has been stronger primary and less and less frozen.. nothing is going to hold off that warming clear up in SNH

Verbatim its C-1" south of MA/CT border, prob 1-2" up to pike and 2-4" N of the pike to S NH...that's a gradient. That's how these systems often work.

Archived