Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event is right in your and Dendrite's wheelhouse right now.  Just far enough north to get the most thump with minimal mix, just far enough south to get the good juice.

lol, I don't want it to be here right now, This really reminds me of a lot of the systems in 2007-2008, I know i keep referencing that winter but we had these SWFE pretty much the whole season that year so its hard not to ignore this look early on

I like your area in this pattern if the SWFE parade starts up with sort of PA/NY tracks and redevelopment southeast of the arctic airmass.  And if it ends up a more suppressed or Miller B-ish pattern, you'd also do well.

Yea, I could end up in a position to capitalize in both set ups.

Maybe.

Let's see if we can stick to the model discussion in here and take the general discussion to the banter thread.

If someone wants to start a storm specific thread go right ahead  it's seems like people want to discuss the potential more and more.  I think it's also safe to assume we see a system of some sort over the weekend.  We'll keep this thread for the models and open up the storm thread to discuss anything you want to do with the potential storm.

The only ice you'll see is the kind that Romo will be putting on his fanny.

Really?  I think Dallas is going to smoke Detroit.

And so we can talk about the model discussion:  Based on the models at the present my forecast for this weekend is that a storm is possible.  Could be snow, could be rain, could be ice.  Basically we have no clue. 

Just be happy there is a storm possibly.

Out of all the guidance, really only the GGEM doesn't give some sort of front end snow/ice to SNE.

That will start to mean more over the next 24-36 hours...right now, we are still in that day 5ish range for models which is still quite volatile.

Out of all the guidance, really only the GGEM doesn't give some sort of front end snow/ice to SNE.

That will start to mean more over the next 24-36 hours...right now, we are still in that day 5ish range for models which is still quite volatile.

Unless other models jump on that track, I think we can toss it as its the furthest warm and west solution on the table, Its notorious for a warm bias i believe anyways

Yeah, forgot how far out it is.

But in real life, what turns a cutter into an off coast storm in the situation we have set up when there is no -NAO?

You would need timing to be off. For instance you may want that upper level low to eject quicker out of the southwest so that any energy trying to dive south from the PV can't phase with it.

You would need timing to be off. For instance you may want that upper level low to eject quicker out of the southwest so that any energy trying to dive south from the PV can't phase with it.

Saw the results of that on a few previous runs with not good results as the s/w in the SW was much weaker and had a shredded look to it and whiffed the region pretty much, I don't think we will see that in this instance but not totally off the table

Saw the results of that on a few previous runs with not good results as the s/w in the SW was much weaker and had a shredded look to it and whiffed the region pretty much, I don't think we will see that in this instance but not totally off the table

I know it could be wrong, but I guess I always had that vision of last nights runs in my head. I don't expect much here in my locale, but could be a nice event to kick start NNE. I think I even said that a few days ago. Probably some snow to ice and cold rain inland around here. Hopefully something like the 00z GFS happens. Either way, I care more about afterwards.

Yea and it's not like we really care if the GGEM gives us snow. I mean it's not the best guidance to derive forecasts by.

will be interesting to see how guidance does with this. HP is in a so-so position. Should be some CAD for sure but flow is there to yank the low level cold out too. 

euro and ggem push temps well into the 50s across SNE (ggem is actually like low 60s) as the warm front barrels through.

on the one hand, that seems high given antecedent air mass and HP E/NE of Maine. but on the other, there's no great mechanism to stop it from happening either with (thus far) only weak indications of any kind of triple point (though GFS is more bullish on that idea) 

yeah nice solid thump. that's the kind of evolution folks will need. 

It avoids a full phase with the northern stream this run...that's the timing aspect that's been harped on a bunch...small difference in timing with the southwest energy can have a large effect on the sensible wx.

Archived