• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model discussion thread

ORH_wxman

There's a pretty big CAD signal there.You aren't scouring out low level cold with a strong high position like that. Plus you'd probably see some sort of weak secondary developing off of like ACk or something.Just conjecture at this point..but that's an ice signal verbatim on the Euro

Yeah someone in CNE could see some pretty decent ice after a thump. Especially the climo favored spots of the ORH hills and the northern Berks east slopes into SVT/SNH on that run.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a pretty big CAD signal there.You aren't scouring out low level cold with a strong high position like that. Plus you'd probably see some sort of weak secondary developing off of like ACk or something.Just conjecture at this point..but that's an ice signal verbatim on the Euro

Not verbatim since verbatim the 00z run on the euro has much too strong of a primary low and warms you up enough. After close examination, based soley on the 00z ecmwf verbatim, if this system was only was 48 hours out I'd definitely keep Tolland County out of a warning much like in '08. And perhaps out of an advisory as well but it's possible you muster up an hour or two of fzra at 31-32 degrees before the boundary layer torches.

Futher north, I agree.

Even with that secondary?

They don't have a secondary...they show a kink in the isobars...so one may develop...but the mean doesn't have this defined secondary developing.

The ensembles look like a classic SWFE with probably advisory snow north of the pike and a faster flip to rain south. It's 120 hours out though so there's a lot of time left...but verbatim on the ensemble mean that is what they show.

Guess I shouldn't take what I see from other mets verbatim FTL

1. Euro Ensembles try to develop a coastal low near Long Island/SE MA by Sunday AM. Primary Low over Detroit. Recipe for ice over interior NE.

0 replies1 retweet0 favorites
     Retweet1
     Favorite
    More

@JoshPhillipsWx I think icing in coastal SNE will be almost impossible, but just inland a low south of SNE would be would be quite icy

In any case, it's another solution..although I'd say it makes sense to me.

And, it's a solution that presents a world of difference sensibly with a minor change in track--which will invariably take place between now and showtime.  Hopefully, we can all be winners on this one, but I'm not sold one way or the other.

Meanwhile, enjoy the cooler regime.

16.9/7

At this point everyone has to hope the models have no read on that piece that phases in over the Plains and ultimately forces this to bomb....that thing is still out in practically Siberia, in 48-60 hours it reaches Alaska, they may get a handle on its speed and strength better at that point...if that piece is late or early this entire thing slips south like had been shown.

Guess I shouldn't take what I see from other mets verbatim FTL

1. Euro Ensembles try to develop a coastal low near Long Island/SE MA by Sunday AM. Primary Low over Detroit. Recipe for ice over interior NE.

0 replies1 retweet0 favorites
     Retweet1
     Favorite
    More

@JoshPhillipsWx I think icing in coastal SNE will be almost impossible, but just inland a low south of SNE would be would be quite icy

Here's the ensemble mean...you can see there's a kink, but there is no clear secondary. I'm sure some members have it, but looking at the ensemble mean you wouldn't callt hat a secondary

Dec30_00z_ECensemble_Mean126.png

At this point everyone has to hope the models have no read on that piece that phases in over the Plains and ultimately forces this to bomb....that thing is still out in practically Siberia, in 48-60 hours it reaches Alaska, they may get a handle on its speed and strength better at that point...if that piece is late or early this entire thing slips south like had been shown.

I guess we can all take a break from this thread until Thursday.  :)

17.4/7

yes the European verbatim would be a warmer scenario but I think you still have to blend at this early stage. It's not like the European has been a guru lately at this time frame and I don't think SWFE's are the European's bread and butter as opposed to a classic miller A or coastal system. It could very well be right but Im not sold on it yet.

Any system with a strong primary ejecting out of the SW is not a good solution for the southern portion of SNE as it will scour out any cold that we have in place.  This does not preclude having some wintry precip but that wouldn't be the primary precip.  This is where we need our -NAO to lock that into place,  Without that block our HP will be forced East.

By no means is this set in stone either as any piece/lobe of vorticity rotating around the PV may cause our confluence to be oriented in a different manner than what is currently modeled.

Hopefully nobody gets all bent out of shape if this doesn't work out. It's had this type of look really all along, and although things can change, I would get excited for it.

Its hard to see it getting much worse than this for the NE, its always good to have your worst solution on the table at 120 hours because you know it ain't ever holding up.

Its hard to see it getting much worse than this for the NE, its always good to have your worst solution on the table at 120 hours because you know it ain't ever holding up.

Well I just put it out there so we don't have to hear all the complaints about something needing a ton of work in the first place. 

It looks great right now, haha.  I thought it looked much worse two days ago.  Except for the surpressed ECM run yesterday at 12z and a few PARA runs (that model seems useless though), its had SWFE look the entire time.

At day 7-10 it was cutter all the way so this is a big improvement.

Front end thump, Mix to rain scenario SWFE'ish starting to show with more regularity on the models, Next day or two should be telling if we can get that high to hold longer north of Maine it would be game on for many

This event is right in your and Dendrite's wheelhouse right now.  Just far enough north to get the most thump with minimal mix, just far enough south to get the good juice.

It looks great right now, haha. I thought it looked much worse two days ago. Except for the surpressed ECM run yesterday at 12z and a few PARA runs (that model seems useless though), its had SWFE look the entire time.

At day 7-10 it was cutter all the way so this is a big improvement.

Yes it has definitely gotten colder in the means the last couple days. But there's still time for this to revert back to a cutter. Next 36 hours will probably start honing in on the type of event we get. Details closer in than that.

Yes it has definitely gotten colder in the means the last couple days. But there's still time for this to revert back to a cutter. Next 36 hours will probably start honing in on the type of event we get. Details closer in than that.

Yeah, there are still some ugly GGEM-esque solutions on the individual ensemble members of both the EURO and GFS...more than there are suppressed non-events like yesterday's 12z ECM.  So that would certainly be the larger concern I would think than a whiff to the south.

Yeah, there are still some ugly GGEM-esque solutions on the individual ensemble members of both the EURO and GFS...more than there are suppressed non-events like yesterday's 12z ECM.  So that would certainly be the larger concern I would think than a whiff to the south.

It's not whiffing, so a matter of ptype.

Archived