joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORD getting dumped on by the looks of it.....

Thundersnow would have fun doing the reports at ORD per the 18Z GFS....

You still scheduled to work on Christmas Eve?

Yes sir. 6am to 2pm. 

850's cool pretty nicely even lakeside and with 925mb temps below freezing, I guess the sfc temps closer to the lake are just a tad too warm as well as the warm layer around 750mb.

Yes sir. 6am to 2pm. 

850's cool pretty nicely even lakeside and with 925mb temps below freezing, I guess the sfc temps closer to the lake are just a tad too warm. 

There'd be a period where it would get pretty intense downtown after the changeover if the 18z GFS is right.  Model is indicating 925 mb winds of 45-50 kts with a full fetch down the lake.  Would have to watch surface temps though as you said as they could struggle to cool more than inland areas while the winds are onshore.

There'd be a period where it would get pretty intense downtown after the changeover if the 18z GFS is right.  Model is indicating 925 mb winds of 45-50 kts with a full fetch down the lake.  Would have to watch surface temps though as you said as they could struggle to cool more than inland areas while the winds are onshore.

yeah I was looking at the wind potential too.

Models still struggling with the evolution but as you said each of the last several GFS runs has continued to slow down.

yeah I was looking at the wind potential too.

Models still struggling with the evolution but as you said each of the last several GFS runs has continued to slow down.

Imagine the wind potential with a 00z GGEM type solution (~970 just east of Lake Michigan).  Most of the big bombs of the past have either gone west or too far east of Lake Michigan.  There's few if any examples of that kind of low going just east of the lake.

Imagine the wind potential with a 00z GGEM type solution (~970 just east of Lake Michigan).  Most of the big bombs of the past have either gone west or too far east of Lake Michigan.  There's few if any examples of that kind of low going just east of the lake.

With all of the bickering about track, the winds with a bombing low are still the most interesting aspect to me. I was never in the game for accumulations, but I'd like to see it deepen rapidly around the lakes, not after it enters Canada. Can you imagine the blizzard conditions? It's just a matter of where it happens.

Glancing over 18z GFS COBB data:

KDPA: RASN starting on 12/24 at 15z, snow begins at 12/25 3z. Accumulation of 7.3".

KORD: RASN throughout nearly the entire event, only ending as snow. Accumulation of 1.6".

For perspective, that's a 5.7" gradient between 18.3 miles.

Question: at what point will some of the energy out west enter the RAOB network? I'm assuming the best sampling won't occur until it reaches land, but does the network extend out into the Pacific at all?

My estimate yesterday was Main energy comes onshore to Oregon/Washington ~12z 21DEC14.

post-1598-0-86001400-1419124443_thumb.pn

Question: at what point will some of the energy out west enter the RAOB network? I'm assuming the best sampling won't occur until it reaches land, but does the network extend out into the Pacific at all?

Doesn't exactly relate to this storm, but for future reference on sampling: UCAR produced this chart of radiosonde locations across Alaska. Good for those pieces of energy that slide along the AK coastline before dropping into the CONUS.

ak_nws_sonde.png

Glancing over 18z GFS COBB data:

KDPA: RASN starting on 12/24 at 15z, snow begins at 12/25 3z. Accumulation of 7.3".

KORD: RASN throughout nearly the entire event, only ending as snow. Accumulation of 1.6".

For perspective, that's a 5.7" gradient between 18.3 miles.

What? DPA switches to snow a lot sooner than 3z. Look at some soundings.

Archived