Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glancing over 18z GFS COBB data:

KDPA: RASN starting on 12/24 at 15z, snow begins at 12/25 3z. Accumulation of 7.3".

KORD: RASN throughout nearly the entire event, only ending as snow. Accumulation of 1.6".

For perspective, that's a 5.7" gradient between 18.3 miles.

The gradient wouldn't be that extreme. Models usually miss the dynamic cooling aspect of storms.

Exit region of the jet streak looks to arrive at sounding site UIL in Washington between 6-7Z tonight based on satellite derived winds. 12Z sounding should be sampling this jet core pretty well, although we likely won't get full sampling of the entire jet streak until 00Z tomorrow. 

Taking a look at the 00Z UIL sounding, 300mb winds are already up to 120 knots. post-8696-0-77129700-1419126521_thumb.gi

300mb satellite derived winds in this same area is 110 knots, so slightly underdone. 

In addition, the max satellite derived winds out over the pacific in the core of the jet streak are now around 183 knots. Using interpolation, if this area is also slightly underestimated, one can assume that this jet streak core has winds near 200 knots! Now that is some energy right there! 

Well, I believe Indpls. has had 2.7" of snow so far this season, more than folks up north of here.  Planning to drive from Indpls area up I-65 to the Calumet region Christmas Day so I plan to watch all the model shifts with this system very closely.  At the very least will have to hang tight to the steering wheel if wind projections are anywhere near accurate.

Archived