joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is wrong. The universal loss of the storm by all members of the 00z suite is not a measure of high chaos inherent in the system. He's thinking of model SPREAD, which there is relatively little of at this point. This forecaster is probably just trying to hang on for another model run or two and hope he doesn't have to back off the forecast.

Yes, the storm could reappear in all the models, but don't hold your breath. Model consensus with decreasing lead time and improving sampling is reason for increased certainty, not decreased. Sampling was not great last night, but like I said, the Seattle raob nabbed the lead edge of the PV anomaly. That may have been enough.

Actually this forecaster is not wrong.  While all the deterministic models flip flopped yesterday evening, many ensemble members did not.  The fact that todays models are coming back with more of storm proves this.  Rapid pattern shifts such as this are so difficult for the models due to an even higher sensitivity to the initial conditions of the dynamical system (hence a lot of chaos in the system).

Actually this forecaster is not wrong.  While all the deterministic models flip flopped yesterday evening, many ensemble members did not.  The fact that todays models are coming back with more of storm proves this.  Rapid pattern shifts such as this are so difficult for the models due to an even higher sensitivity to the initial conditions of the dynamical system (hence a lot of chaos in the system).

Are you a meteorologist as well by chance?

KBUF says this will be a high wind event for our area for this storm.

A STRENGTHENING STORM SYSTEM WILL SHIFT NORTH ACROSS THE GREATLAKES ON CHRISTMAS EVE. THIS WILL BRING WIDESPREAD RAIN WITH VERYMILD TEMPERATURES FOLLOWED BY A PERIOD OF POSSIBLE STRONG WINDSBEHIND A COLD FRONT ON CHRISTMAS EVE NIGHT. WINDS MAY GUST TO 60MPH OVERNIGHT WITH A HIGH WIND WATCH POSSIBLY NEEDED IN LATERFORECAST UPDATES.

Looking a little closer, the PV anomaly which will actually carve out the base of this trough will only be partially sampled here at 00Z. The majority of it will still be off shore. This partial sampling should help somewhat with the evening runs, but I bet the model spread will still be quite significant. By tomorrow morning I would expect pretty good model agreement as we fully sample the entire PV anomaly. 

Looking a little closer, the PV anomaly which will actually carve out the base of this trough will only be partially sampled here at 00Z. The majority of it will still be off shore. This partial sampling should help somewhat with the evening runs, but I bet the model spread will still be quite significant. By tomorrow morning I would expect pretty good model agreement as we fully sample the entire PV anomaly. 

Yeah, hard to believe most of the spread could be resolved in the course of a run.

Actually this forecaster is not wrong. While all the deterministic models flip flopped yesterday evening, many ensemble members did not. The fact that todays models are coming back with more of storm proves this. Rapid pattern shifts such as this are so difficult for the models due to an even higher sensitivity to the initial conditions of the dynamical system (hence a lot of chaos in the system).

Welcome to the board. You should get tagged. When consensus among the entire suite of operational models exists, it's a strong bet that lagging ensemble members will simply be playing catch up. The less phased solution is the one that is going to happen, and this became clear at 00z yesterday.

Welcome to the board. You should get tagged. When consensus among the entire suite of operational models exists, it's a strong bet that lagging ensemble members will simply be playing catch up. The less phased solution is the one that is going to happen, and this became clear at 00z yesterday.

Thanks,

I have to disagree that the models come into consensus yesterday.  The model runs yesterday did not come to a consensus whatsoever, in fact they all diverged from what they had been showing, then the runs today diverged from those yesterday.  Model ensembles continue to be all over the place with the surface system. See the posts above.  While the possibility of null event is certainly there, I personally do not know what if any current solution will verify.  Good luck with your forecast, you have much more confidence than do I.

Thanks,

I have to disagree that the models come into consensus yesterday.  The model runs yesterday did not come to a consensus whatsoever, in fact they all diverged from what they had been showing, then the runs today diverged from those yesterday.  Model ensembles continue to be all over the place with the surface system. See the posts above.  While the possibility of null event is certainly there, I personally do not know what if any current solution will verify.  Good luck with your forecast, you have much more confidence than do I.

I concur with your thoughts that this is far from resolved.  The GFS Ensembles are a fair bit north and west of the 12z Euro Ensembles, and though I would give the edge to the less developed EC Ensembles, it is not a slam dunk.

I wouldn't say there is a consensus among the entire suite of models

I'm ok with that.

As awful as the NAM is, it's enough assurance that hope is still not 100% lost as far as snowstorm potential in our areas.

The problem is if it trends south and east, the deformation band is likely to be weaker, so it's not like the 'snowstorm' potential is that great anyway, would be enough for a White Christmas though if it trends to pass through Ohio.

Archived