• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

I think this storm wins the most wide variety of possible solutions :lmao:   ... glad my only expectation for this system has been strong winds as I don't really care if that doesn't really happen!

lol...on this run, there is barely any snow in Michigan up through the Christmas period. The run to run changes on the GFS are ridiculous.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after looking at the gfs it reminds me of that fantasy OV/lower lakes bomb a few years ago that all the models jumped on and mets began to blog about.  By the time verification time came, it had morphed into a weak wave that shunted off the Carolina coast.

crazy

February 2009

It'll be hard to replicate that level of fail.

after looking at the gfs it reminds me of that fantasy OV/lower lakes bomb a few years ago that all the models jumped on and mets began to blog about.  By the time verification time came, it had morphed into a weak wave that shunted off the Carolina coast.

crazy

Maybe we should start interpreting the GFS as if you ever get painted by the GFS, then you have been eliminated from the lottery.

I can't tell what happens in between hours but the 00z UKMET doesn't look good.

Overall it seems we've seen a trend toward a slower/more positively tilted trough.

Believe it or not, even that solution can still work out, as far as snow potential, if we can get the northern stream wave to push the initial cold front a little further SE...

But yeah, just straw grasping.

I was a bit surprised with the wagons east on the GFS too. Probably best to not to get attached to any solution at this point, since we're still at the 4 day mark.

With this boring pattern we've been in for the last three weeks, it is hard not to look for some model agreement.

The lead edge of the PV anomaly was sampled by Seattle's raob. It's not exactly adequate sampling, but it may have been just enough to allow the 00z suite to recalibrate the depth and strength of the wave.

The difference between the GFS and PGFS is comical. Either one of them doesn't have a clue or the solution space for this storm is still ridiculously wide open.

Things could change but it looks like the Euro won this model battle by default (it was the only model that was consistently on the eastern side of the envelope).

That's true about it being on the eastern side with the track but it's had its fair share of run to run changes.  The handling of the trough is way different than previous runs (as is the case with other models).

Archived