joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed with the PGFS, the wind turns offshore during the most intense part of the storm, so any question whether the marine air would cut down on accumulation would be confined to IN. If the below scenario were to happen, Alek would get snow for his backyard.

post-7-0-80327500-1419264878.png

post-7-0-38625200-1419264887.png

post-7-0-86966800-1419264933.png

Noticed with the PGFS, the wind turns offshore during the most intense part of the storm, so any question whether the marine air would cut down on accumulation would be confined to IN. If the below scenario were to happen, Alek would get snow for his backyard.

Yep, as I mentioned to Hoosier last night, sfc winds back around pretty quickly so winds aren't really off the lake. 

Would it be wrong to cheer for a good storm IMBY not for the snow but for its ability to keep certain family away?

Haha!  Can't blame you there. 

Tough forecast coming up for several NWS offices.  Even ~48hrs out it's still hard to pin down a general area and be confident with it.  Anywhere from Indy back to the QC is still in the game.

Would it be wrong to cheer for a good storm IMBY not for the snow but for its ability to keep certain family away?

Reading this thread has been entertaining to say the least

:lol:

With it looking like a daytime storm it might keep some travelers at home!

Waiting to see some of the soundings.

Haha!  Can't blame you there. 

Tough forecast coming up for several NWS offices.  Even ~48hrs out it's still hard to pin down a general area and be confident with it.  Anywhere from Indy back to the QC is still in the game.

Understatement lol. Unusually high uncertainty/low confidence this close to an event. 

:lol:

With it looking like a daytime storm it might keep some travelers at home!

Waiting to see some of the soundings.

GFS soundings verbatim are going to be warm and look very marginal for snow, which can be seen on the COBB outputs. However, the GFS is showing very impressive frontogenesis and omega in the deformation axis, which results in the high qpf values. Also to start, there is some negative EPV present. In this sort of setup, the marginal BL conditions are typically overcome by dynamic cooling to favor snow as the p-type. Models do not handle it well, so mid 30s 2m temp and dewpoints the model is showing would likely be forced down to low 30s by the heavy precipitation in reality. A good recent example of this was the snowstorm on 2/7/13 in northeast IL and southern WI. If I can figure out how to upload some AWIPS screen caps I took from the 12z OP GFS, I'll put them up as an example. 

Understatement lol. Unusually high uncertainty/low confidence this close to an event. 

Given this is the peak of the holiday travel time (and potentially the biggest snow event of the season), what are the chances of you guys issuing a Winter Storm Watch for your CWA? What are you looking for in the guidance to decide on pulling the trigger or not?

GFS soundings verbatim are going to be warm and look very marginal for snow, which can be seen on the COBB outputs. However, the GFS is showing very impressive frontogenesis and omega in the deformation axis, which results in the high qpf values. Also to start, there is some negative EPV present. In this sort of setup, the marginal BL conditions are typically overcome by dynamic cooling to favor snow as the p-type. Models do not handle it well, so mid 30s 2m temp and dewpoints the model is showing would likely be forced down to low 30s by the heavy precipitation in reality. A good recent example of this was the snowstorm on 2/7/13 in northeast IL and southern WI. If I can figure out how to upload some AWIPS screen caps I took from the 12z OP GFS, I'll put them up as an example.

I remember that storm, and the one later that month that put down over a foot in Sheboygan, WI was another example I think in the early portion of that one.

Given this is the peak of the holiday travel time (and potentially the biggest snow event of the season), what are the chances of you guys issuing a Winter Storm Watch for your CWA? What are you looking for in the guidance to decide on pulling the trigger or not?

I highly doubt we issue a watch today. Possibly an SPS to highlight the potential but also the lingering uncertainty. 

Archived