• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

White towel time. Christmas with a few windblown LES induced +SHSN is all I ask for.

Starting to seem that way but I'll give it until the 00Z suite. I was never optimistic for big defo snows, was just hoping to generate some solid wrap around snows and maybe a shot at some brief blizzard conditions. Although that hope is beginning to fade as well. I still love a good wind storm, so at least there's that.

Ontario was never in this one.

There were a few OP runs and numerous ensemble members from the various models with a nice hit for here (ie yesterday's 12Z EURO EPS control). With the range of solutions on the table (especially in the previous days) its unrealistic to say we were never in this one. 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z EURO .... 989 SLP over south central Michigan at H96

Looks to lay down a thin band of accumulating snow over eastern IL/western IN up into western MI.  Large area of snow showers/flurries from Iowa up into MN.  Looks like it was close to developing something bigger, but didn't quite make it.

EURO looks more similar to the GGEM at H5.

Agreed.

As far as the GGEM, comparing the 00z and 12z runs shows that there's some differences aloft but it leads to a radically different outcome at the surface.  IMO we haven't seen a wholesale fundamental shift to take the earlier bombing scenario off the table...this is more of a smaller detail thing at this point.

This. Though I get the pessimism for this one if you're in eastern MI or east. Farther west still well within the realm of possibilities.

The problem is with the later phase and weaker system you don't get as strong of a comma head deformation, which means the further south you are the harder it will be to get appreciable snows. Not saying it is impossible but it is less likely because you need that stronger deformation.

Geos screwhole...toss it. :D

attachicon.gifUSA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_114.gif

That'd be a fun solution though. The drive to big snows would be short for some. 

Yeah toss it!  :lol:

Mike Hamernik talking about the storm already.

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/forecast-snow-could-affect-christmas-eve-travel

Someone in IL and WI is going to get a dumping by the looks of it now.

Yeah toss it!  :lol:

Mike Hamernik talking about the storm already.

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/forecast-snow-could-affect-christmas-eve-travel

Someone in IL and WI is going to get a dumping by the looks of it now.

Not only that, but Skilling busted out the Chinese model!

http://static.chicagoweathercenter.com/media/2014/12/TSFeature_122014Header-839x1024.jpg

Not only that, but Skilling busted out the Chinese model!

http://static.chicagoweathercenter.com/media/2014/12/TSFeature_122014Header-839x1024.jpg

Didn't even catch that!  :lmao:

I don't think the heaviest snow axis would go any further than Cyclone or any further east than the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

Let's see what ridiculous solution the NAM has...

And it's beyond annoying. Take it to the other thread or shut up

Easy to say when you're sitting right under the deformation zone.

EURO and GFS have backed off slightly on the wind gust potential. Much smaller area of 50kt+ H85 winds on both models compared to yesterday's runs. 

Actually the overall size of the windfield seems to have decreased as well.

Archived