• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

FWIW, I clicked around the other sectors valid same time and the scores seemed about what you'd normally see.  Something about the MV sector that threw it I guess. 

Those scores aren't really that good though either, I checked as well and I don't think I saw one over 12 when the max score is 15.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the fact that the CIPS analogs aren't finding anything close to what the GFS is showing means we haven't seen a system too similar to this in the analog time period. I don't know how far back the analog period goes on the CIPS but one listed is 1979. So you are looking at 35 years without a storm too similar to the one forecasted by the GFS. Just taking a stab in the dark my guess is that the analogs go back to 1979, because I think if they went further back the blizzard of 78 would probably be up near the top of the list in similarities, not to say they are the same but there are some similarities.

thx stebo

Well the fact that the CIPS analogs aren't finding anything close to what the GFS is showing means we haven't seen a system too similar to this in the analog time period. I don't know how far back the analog period goes on the CIPS but one listed is 1979. So you are looking at 35 years without a storm too similar to the one forecasted by the GFS. Just taking a stab in the dark my guess is that the analogs go back to 1979, because I think if they went further back the blizzard of 78 would probably be up near the top of the list in similarities, not to say they are the same but there are some similarities.

Yeah it only goes back to 1979.  I'd be interested to see if the blizzard of 78 would've made the CIPS list and where it would've ranked.

After all of this time, I just noticed Joe's subtitle, "FreeBowMe" lol. I don't know what he did to get banned, but Saukville and him sure have been put on Exile Island.

No matter the outcome, this is a fun, if frustrating, event to track, especially with all of the varied predictions the models are spewing.

Anyone who has been around a while knows that it's not that easy to get banned from here.  You have to do something really bad or show enough of a pattern of causing problems.  If you get banned, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

Enough of that.  Let's get back on track with discussing the storm.

One thing different about this setup from the January 1978 blizzard is the huge difference in 850-700mb temps. -22C at 850mb and -26C at 700mb in the central plains were poised to take over the system, at 00z on January 26 1978. That -22C (ish) air wrapped into the storm and went to the Tennessee Valley in 12 hours!

post-1182-0-28292100-1419043444_thumb.gi

One thing different about this setup from the January 1978 blizzard is the huge difference in 850-700mb temps. -22C at 850mb and -26C at 700mb in the central plains were poised to take over the system, at 00z on January 26 1978. That -22C (ish) air wrapped into the storm and went to the Tennessee Valley in 12 hours!

attachicon.gif19780126_00z_850_plot.gif

For sure.  Not nearly the same amount of cold air available.  Instead of a wind whipped powdery blizzard, whatever falls with this one is most likely going to be wet/dense. 

If you look at the surface maps, jets, etc. leading up to Jan 1978 and this one, you can definitely see some similarities.  The 12z ECMWF 500 mb map is almost freakishly reminiscent.

1978.png

ecmwf.png

For sure.  Not nearly the same amount of cold air available.  Instead of a wind whipped powdery blizzard, whatever falls with this one is most likely going to be wet/dense. 

If you look at the surface maps, jets, etc. leading up to Jan 1978 and this one, you can definitely see some similarities.  The 12z ECMWF 500 mb map is almost freakishly reminiscent.

those are amazingly similar, as are some of the other maps you posted in the last few days.   My question is about the storm on the heels of this one....was there anything on the heels of the '78 storm?.   I think that's one thing that is complicating the xmas bomb....would you agree?

those are amazingly similar, as are some of the other maps you posted in the last few days.   My question is about the storm on the heels of this one....was there anything on the heels of the '78 storm?.   I think that's one thing that is complicating the xmas bomb....would you agree?

Pretty sure there wasn't.

Hello?! Canadian friends? GTA peeps? Can you say blizzard? I know that word is forbidden here, but that's what it shows.

Yes I can say it, that's what I crave. The fact that the Euro has shown this 2 times in a row with the control run from 00z being the tops for MBY, as opposed to the GFS makes me extremely happy and excited.

Yeah, I understand. I'm thinking less about the amount of snow and more about the combination of snow and wind. For anyone who has never been in a TRUE blizzard, trust me, it's something you'll never forget.

Exactly, I saw my first true blizz conditions this January and its just wild. Its the best winter offers but I think that's a no brainer. I'll never forget it.

964mb bomb near Owen Sound,On at 144. Wow.

^_^ Getting close to being over my head but on the maps it shows it being on Huron, its wasn't right on OS right? There are two paths that would be the best IMBY, one that the Euro Control from 12z/17 showed where its just north of me on Lake Huron (with 956 mb) and the other was from 00z/19 that slides along the 401 corridor (959 mb).

Unplug the GFS and leave it powered off.

Amen.

Archived