12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 5 days to go, the current 12z op and parallel GFS should be seen as two of the possible solutions in the envelope of guidance. Until the rest of the 12z operational and ensembles guidance comes in, can't really read too much into them and even then, still a ways to go until there's better consistency. It's fun to track each run and the swings in the models but it's just gonna be tough for a consensus to form until there's full RAOB sampling. With such huge variance, the best we can say is that it's clear at this point there's going to be a strong storm somewehere over the GL region on Christmas Eve.

With 5 days to go, the current 12z op and parallel GFS should be seen as two of the possible solutions in the envelope of guidance. Until the rest of the 12z operational and ensembles guidance comes in, can't really read too much into them and even then, still a ways to go until there's better consistency. It's fun to track each run and the swings in the models but it's just gonna be tough for a consensus to form until there's full RAOB sampling. With such huge variance, the best we can say is that it's clear at this point there's going to be a strong storm somewehere over the GL region on Christmas Eve.

Agreed, the energy is still way out in the Pacific and models don't have it coming ashore until around 00Z Monday, so certainly not a good idea to be invested in any one solution until then in terms of track. Although I think in terms of thermals we can be somewhat confident on a lack of widespread snows.

7T3sToD.gif

4D1g8zz.gif

Agreed, the energy is still way out in the Pacific and models don't have it coming ashore until around 00Z Monday, so certainly not a good idea to be invested in any one solution until then in terms of track. Although I think in terms of thermals we can be somewhat confident on a lack of widespread snows.

Yeah I was looping the H3 jet from the 00z Euro earlier, and it's pretty wild.  So much energy coming in with that powerhouse jet.  Can definitely see why the guidance is kind of like wtf do I do with this?

WPC not painting a horrible picture for those wanting to see flakes fly (at the least) for the holidays...

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1059 AM EST FRI DEC 19 2014

VALID 12Z MON DEC 22 2014 - 12Z FRI DEC 26 2014

...AN ACTIVE HOLIDAY WEATHER PATTERN...

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...
AN AMPLIFIED MID-UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AND PCPN FOCUSING LEAD SURFACE
LOW/FRONTAL SYSTEM DEVELOPS OVER THE CENTRAL US BY EARLY NEXT WEEK
AS EMBEDDED IMPUSLES DIG TO THE LEE OF AN AMPLIFIED ERN PACIFIC
RIDGE ALOFT. THE SUPPORTING AND INCREASINGLY NEG-TILT TROUGH ALOFT
WORKS OVER THE ERN US AND OUT THROUGH THE NERN STATES INTO DAYS
5/6 WED/THU. SUSPECT A THREAT EXISTS FOR ORGANIZED WINTER WEATHER
IN LEAD FLOW OVER A COOLED NRN NEW ENG AIRMASS TUE WITH LOW
INDUCED WRAP-AROUND SNOWS SPREADING FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST AND
GREAT LAKE STATES/MIDWEST LINGERING PAST TUE/WED THAT WORK MORE IN
ERNEST OUT THROUGH THE APPALACHIANS AND MAINLY INTERIOR NRN
MID-ATLANTIC/NERN US ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS.

The 12z GFS is a piss tank lol. We would need atleast a 200 mile shift to the East to get any snow from this. Surface temps are too warm and we can't get any CAA to work in.

Christmas eve -SHSN/flurries and gusty winds look like a lock. Could be worse. 

At the moment, I think our best hope is for a light dusting and some mood flakes on Christmas Day. Looks like the winds may be fairly intense, as per the Euro at least.

The key with the 12z GFS is that it is maintaining the sharpness and favorable orientation for strong secondary cyclogenesis. It is just having a terrible time resolving the surface low forming but the 500mb pattern is very favorable.

Yeah, I'm sure many of the ensembles will still be blowing up the secondary. 

Archived