CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Grinch Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trough is definitely deeper and slower at H5 compared to the 18z run, but I'm not sure the differences are big enough to turn this thing into a prolific snow producer.

Yeah the GFS is a complete washout. A true Grinch storm, lol. My neighbour rants everyday about how Christmas used to be so white and wintry way back in the days (60s, 70s, 80s) and sometimes it can get annoying. -_- An outcome like what the GFS is showing would throw him over the board. 

Still alot of pieces to sort out but hopefully things turn for the better.  

Yeah the GFS is a complete washout. A true Grinch storm, lol. My neighbour rants everyday about how Christmas used to be so white and wintry way back in the days (60s, 70s, 80s) and sometimes it can get annoying. -_- An outcome like what the GFS is showing would throw him over the board. 

Still alot of pieces to sort out but hopefully things turn for the better.  

Slight deviations but the one constant seems to be that the H5 low closes off around northern WI and then deepens/goes neg tilt on a ENE/NE trajectory from there. Very tough to get decent snows for us when the ul is that far north.

Sfc low on parallel GFS passes over Chicago in full bomb mode.

Hours 120-150 it's almost exactly following the eastern IL border, up into Lake Michigan, hovering around the eastern Wisconsin border as it does so, then hanging on the eastern border of Michigan's U.P.

Fun stuff.

Slight deviations but the one constant seems to be that the H5 low closes off around northern WI and then deepens/goes neg tilt on a ENE/NE trajectory from there. Very tough to get decent snows for us when the ul is that far north.

Yeah true. I have yet to see a run that shows a true winter storm for us. Lack of blocking plays a crucial role in this storms evolution. Without it, we don't have any sustained cold air in the region and the storm track ends up being to far north. Unless the northern stream can dig further south, we don't have much to work with. 

Lots of time for that one to get sorted out. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the fact that I likely won't be losing much sleep heading into my Christmas festivities because of the #santabomb.

It is a shame though that, besides the increasing probability that we're going to have a brown-ish Christmas, we may have to worry about power outages as well...

gfsp_mslp_wind_us_27.png

Anyone holding out hope for the Xmas storm is going to be disappointed, unless you really like wind. It is warm with marginal snow potential. Hopefully it will be interesting enough to distract from the crappy Xmas wx. The better chance will come with the trailing wave which has the potential to bring a decent stripe of snow to the forum depending on where the baroclinic zone sets up.

Anyone holding out hope for the Xmas storm is going to be disappointed, unless you really like wind. It is warm with marginal snow potential. Hopefully it will be interesting enough to distract from the crappy Xmas wx. The better chance will come with the trailing wave which has the potential to bring a decent stripe of snow to the forum depending on where the baroclinic zone sets up.

We just need the X-mas bomb to get out of the way quickly (to the NE) to not suppress that following potential system.

Archived